Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to run certain MSC files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

acroniscronie

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2003
GB
I'm in the process of porting some legacy applications from NT4.0 sp5 to XP pro sp2.

I've used the compatibility wizard to install the legacy app's and everyting has worked as expected however I'm now unable to run a number of files with the MSC file extension.

The files affected are

gpedit.msc
secpol.msc
rsop.msc
mscorcfg.msc

Any advice would be appreciated.

are you able to create a new console with mmc then add these extension snap-ins?

try installing the resource kit / support tools...

Aftertaf

What happens when you try to run them? Nothing, or an error message?

Thanks for looking at this Bcastner

When I attempt to run one of these .MSC files I get an error message detailing that the "Snap-in failed to initialize".

The error message also details the Name of the Snap-in (e.g. Group Policy) and then it provides me with a CLSID string of alphanumeric characters.

The only option I have is to press the OK button. After pressing this button I'm presented with a blank MMC screen.

i think that means you should install/reinstall the support tools that provide these consoles.

Aftertaf

getting quite good at sorting out Windows problems...
An expert when it comes to crashing Linux distributions (mdk, debian - nothing withstands me)

When I try to edit a Group Policy object, I get the "Snap-in failed to initialize" error.

Cause: This may be happen if Group Policy cannot find framedyn.dll.

Solution: If you use installation scripts, make sure that your scripts place the %windir%\system32\wbem directory in the system path. By default, %windir%\system32\wbem is in the system path already; therefore, you are not likely to encounter this issue if you do not use installation scripts.

My Translation: First, right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, and click Environmental Variables at the bottom.

In the lower panel find the path variable, and click edit. Make sure this is included as part of the path statement: %windir%\system32\wbem

Second, I cheat when there is an issue with framedyn.dll. I make a copy and place it in %windir%\system32

that is not cheating, its called using a simple workaround for a problem that maybe shouldn't occur in the first place...

Aftertaf

getting quite good at sorting out Windows problems...
An expert when it comes to crashing Linux distributions (mdk, debian - nothing withstands me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back