Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to roll back versions of Windows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackship

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2013
US
Had a HP Envy Laptop that was purchased with Windows 8 installed. User is unhappy with/can not work with/and wants Windows 8 gone from laptop. I have Windows 7 software and license so I thought this would be a simple fix. Laptop has UEFI (not BIOS) secure boot disabled, and boot order is from CD as #1. When I put the Win 7 disk in it gets to a "Loading Software" screen and stops there. The laptop is a 64bit - but like always, I tried the 64 and 32 bit versions of Win 7 with no success. The disks will work fine on another computer, but I don't have a computer running Win 8 to test on. Only thing I can figure is that there may be something with Win 8 that is preventing me from rolling back versions. Working with GPart live to try to re-format the hard drive, but GPart live is having problems booting. Going to continue to work on GPart live utility to boot and re-format the hard drive, but if this is a problem that anyone else has run into and can save me a few hours - I would appreciate the assist.

Try hirens boot CD to format the drive.

also, have you tried to "burn" your Win7 install to a USB drive to install from? you should still be able to get the to the drive options in win 7. I have rolled my own PC from win 8 to win 7 without a hitch just booting from the DVD / USB installer.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

I have rolled my own PC from win 8 to win 7 without a hitch just booting from the DVD / USB installer.
Yes, this sounds like normal behavior.

Does the laptop show that Windows 7 is a possible operating system for it? It sounds dumb, but something might not be compatible.

Daft question, why are they unhappy?

If they don't like Metro, just use one of the Open source skins out there,may do the job.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I didn't hear that explicitly on the news when they mentioned something a couple days ago and I haven't looked it up yet. But that would make me happy - at least make it optional, old school boot to desktop with start button/menu.

See: New Coke fiasco

Thanks for the suggestions.
1 - No, I have not tried to do the install from a USB. At this point it has been from the laptop's CD drive. I have a CD drive that I can connect to a USB, and I will look at how large a USB would need to be to burn the CD to it - if I have one I'll give it a try.
2 - Will try Hirens boot CD first though.
3 - The laptop meets all the requirements for Win 7. I don't see or know of any hardware conflicts that would stop Win 7 installing.

Yes, the start button was part of the users problems. Some charms (?? all these new terms are confusing) disappeared from the start menu or what ever it's called now. It took me a little while to find and restore the charms (apps) so the user could use them. User was on-the-road, at a clients site and could not access or preform task's requested. User is determined never to be in that situation again - so Win 8 goes. Bottom line, user doesn't trust Win 8 and isn't willing to risk anymore on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back