Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to restore individual Notes DBs with AS2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashanderson

Technical User
Feb 5, 2001
US
I am running ARCserve 2000 with Lotus Notes Agent.

I seem to be able to back up my Notes databases successfully but I am unable to restore individual databases. But, when I set up the restore job and try to use the Restore by Tree option I cannot expand any of the nodes under My Computer: C, D, Lotus Notes Server, Registry and System State. The check boxes for D (ARCserve partition)and the Lotus Notes Server are GREY and not green... and cannot be selected. I cannot find any reference in the help or documentation about what the grey colouring signifies, but I assume this means these partitions/directories are inaccessible. But why? Is it because I have Notes running? Do I need to stop the Notes server before I can restore any of the databases? Again, no help from the Help!

Using the search tool in the Restore by Tree option does not bring anything back as well...

This means that I cannot restore any invidual Notes databases. I am able to restore the whole session, but that is not convenient because I have 156 databases and I may only need one.

Restore by Query doesn't work at all... the query runs in a fraction of a second and pulls back nothing!

Any explanations or help in getting this Restore to work would be appreciated.

It appears that the backup session information is not being written to the arcserve database because (1) the tree view has no details and (2) the query runs so quick.

First of all, make sure this is the problem by opening database information in the arcserve manager. Select a view by media records and try to drill into the different tapes to see what sessions were written. If this yields no joy then onto step two.

Step two, search your arcserve program directory for .CAT files. They should be in the arcserve home dir or maybe the log arcserve/logs directory. these are the temp files arcserve creates during a backup, they are commited automagically to the arcserve sql or vldb after the backup finishes. This can take a fair amount of time for large backups of many small files on under-powered arcserve servers.

If you find these .CAT files you will need to manually commit them to the arcserve db. Open up a dos prompt and cd to the arcserve home dir. from the prompt execute mergcat.exe. or move mergecat to the logs directory, wherever you find the .cat files. This should fix the immediate problem.

Open up the database manager and try to drill into your media records. If this is successful you can proceed to restore your notes files, etc.

If you DO NOT find any .CAT files you may not have set up your backup job correctly. Open up your backup job or script or just recreate the job, from the options tab choose operation | record session details. Rerun the backup of local system and (remote)notes agent backup jobs.

One last thing to check, the arcserve service account must be a member of admininistrator and backup operator groups. Check the release notes for details.
If you still have no success viewing the session details you may want to start by reinstalling arcserve with all the patches and/or the agent . You can find a list on our website, or on CA's
I'm quite confident you'll have this problem licked with one of these resolutions.

In any event let us know the outcome we'll be happy to help you further if you just send an email or call.

James.Horvath@truedatasan.com
True Data Storage Networks., Inc.
CA Storage Solutions Provider
StorageTek Authorized Dealer

James,

Thanks for all the advice... I think you may have been right about the CAT files: I've found the files BUT I can't find the mergecat.exe. It appears that ARCserve 2000 hasn't installed mergecat.exe. However, I checked on another server running ARCserve 6.5 and found mergecat on that machine.

So:
- Should mergecat.exe be installed on ARCserve 2000, or is this just for earlier versions?
- Would this not installing be the cause of my problems?
- Can I copy the mergecat from the 6.5 installation and use it merge the files into the ARCserve 2000 database?

Thanks

Have you installed Arcserve 2000 patch LO85115.EXE ??
NT -EXCHANGE 2000/LOTUS NOTES LOG BKUP SUPPORT, You can find a link on our web; James.Horvath@truedatasan.com
True Data Storage Networks., Inc.
CA Storage Solutions Provider
StorageTek Authorized Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back