Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to restore file from seq# 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red04GT

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2006
US
I have a full backup of a system and it is spanned on 2 tapes (same IDno seq #1 and seq#2) on one drive.
I am trying to restore a file on seq#2, and arcserve starts on seq#1, scans this, and then asks for seq#2. So far so good.
But after I have inserted Seq#2, it still asks for seq#2 ?!?
When I look in at the tape details under Device, it still says that it is seq#1 that is inserted. It seems like arcserve doesn't recognize that the tape has been changed.
The "funny" thing is that when I insert seq#2 from the beginning and then starts the restore process then Arcserve recognizes that it is seq#2 that is inserted and asks for seq#1 to beging scanning. And then when I insert seq#1 it recognizes that the tapes have changed and the scanning process continues until it asks for seq#2 then it cannot recognize that the tapes have changed???

I am using ArcServe 2000 advanced edition ver 7.0 (build 1110) on a windows 2003 server.

Does anyone have any idea of how to solve this?

Easy - AS2000 was never ever tested or supported on Win2003 - the application is not compatible.

I really hope I can get some better input. I am just working with what I have here. The genius before me set all of this up. I'll cross my fingers

try disabling the tape drive from within the OS Device Manager.

Like butta lol

Here is what i did....

1. Eject the first tape.
2. Click OK to the prompt. Tape drive shows up as empty
3. Insert the 2nd tape.
4. Click OK again.

Wallah!

Yep, used to see that all the time in the old days of AS2K. Wonder if they'll ever manage to code a version that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back