Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to remove SMTP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblaine

Technical User
Jul 28, 2002
CA
Hai all,
We had upgraded our exchange 5.5 to 2000. And by default all the mailboxes has aquired the SMTP address. Now I want to disable this SMTP address to some of the users. And Now while i am doing the same an error is being displayed saying
"This is the primary SMTP e-mail address of this recipient. It cannot be removed." IDNo: c10312f6
Microsoft Active directory- Exchange Extension.

And i tried to set another address as primary but the tab "set as primary" is not active. Also I tried to disable the SMTP address at default recipient policy But error displaying as all the recipients should have SMTP address.
What could be the problem.
I want to disable The SMTP e-mail address to certain ,recipients, how coul it be done.

Any help is highly appreciated

tnx
dblaine

I would like to know how to disable a primary SMTP account too.

Have you try to used Exchange task and select delete the mailbox? I don't think you can disable a primary account.

Instead of creating another primary account, just used Exchange task and delete the mailbox.

please try uncheck "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on recipient policy" check box in E-mail addresses page of desired User Account properties.

then set new SMTP address and set it as Primary, i tried this method before and it works

Hope this would help Mohamed Aly
samara_79@hotmail.com

You can’t actually remove the SMTP addresses from recipients since SMTP is how Exchange 2000 resolves and delivers email (in Exchange 5.5 X.500 was the native addressing format and therefore you could remove the SMTP address since it was not required). What you can do however is restrict the user from sending or receiving internet email.

If you want to restrict the user from receiving internet mail, check out the Q article Q247121 ( However, if you are using any other type of SMTP server (SendMail, Qmail, etc.) outside of Exchange, you’ll be unable to use this method since the @domain.local is not a valid DNS domain.

If you want to restrict the user from sending internet email check out the article by Tony Redmond at . He goes over how to restrict users from sending internet email.

Good Luck,
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back