Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to remove domain user profile Windows XP Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

treborsitnay

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2004
US
I have a laptop running Windows XP Pro SP2, fully patched, that is now no longer a member of a W2K Server Active Directory domain, but is now a member of a home network workgroup. A couple of profiles created by domain users logging into the PC are still stored on the PC. When I go to 'System Properties\User Profiles', the profiles are listed, but the 'Delete' button is 'greyed out' for these profiles (but not for the local profiles), meaning that I am unable to delete the profile.

The profile exists under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileLists\<PID>, and is referenced in numerous locations elsewhere in the Registry.

I have deleted most of the files and folders in the '\Documents and Settings\<profile>' folder, except the 'usrclass.dat' file and related folders, which is denied because they are 'being used by another person or program'.

What is the best way to remedy this and completely remove all instances and references to these profiles? Also should I dis-join the W2K domain by joining the Workgroup 'domain' to finalize the separation from the W2K domain?

Please advise. (Any help will be greatly appreciated.)

Robert

I think you will find that each of these users are members of the local admin group. Remove the users from the local admin group and you should be able to delete the profiles.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Mark, one of the orphaned profiles was in the group, but only as the PID with a '?' preceding it, the other was not. I deleted the single one that was showing up in the group. But it still appears in the Registry in the ProfileList & ProfileGuid folders. The PID of the profile that is not appearing in the local admin group still appears in the ProfileList folder but not in the ProfileGuid.

I think that the ProfileGuid folder applies to Active Directory users logged into the PC when it is attached to the AD domain. What I do not know is if I dis-join from the AD domain by joining the Workgroup 'domain', will that remove the references to the AD users, and allow me to delete the users profile account folders in '\Documents and Settings', and then from the other locations. And, does this completely remove all references to the orphaned account?

-Robert

Removing from the domain will not clean up the entries in the registry. You would need to do that manually if you have also manually deleted the folder in Docs & Settings.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Delprof.exe Its Part of the resource kit tools.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
- Mark Twain

Thanks, pagy. I seems to have done the trick.
-Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back