Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to recover Win7 Home SP1 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

artheim

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
Powered off system and all appeared normal last night. When starting system this morning, received error of corrupted RpcRtRemote.dll from Logonui.exe and after acknowledging that popup, got error of corrupted Userenv.dll from UserInit.exe. The final screen indicates the Win7 is not an official copy.

Repair My Computer does not find anything wrong. Upgrade reinstall cannot be done since I cannot get the system booted. Attempting to use Recovery to go to an earlier point in time, says there are no restore points. Returning to the last good boot configuration gives the same corruption errors. I have not been able to copy replacement dll modules due to getting access not allowed errors. Attempting to run sfc /scannow from normal boot indicates must be run from an administrator level - do not know how to get that. Attempting to run sfc /scannow from a safe mode, task manager started cmd prompt indicating to run in Administrator level indicates an update has not completed and a restart is required. It also gives the corruption error on RpcRtRemote.dll.

Do I have any option other than wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Win7 with a custom install?

Will be trying to replace the modules flagged using the takeown and ieacls commands next, but any other suggestions welcome. Will move the hard drive to another computer and try to backup the important data before wiping the hard drive.

>Will move the hard drive to another computer

If that computer is also W7, it may be possible to run SFC against the problem drive:

C:\Users\Vincent>sfc /?

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/VERIFYONLY] [/SCANFILE=<file>] [/VERIFYFILE=<file>]
[/OFFWINDIR=<offline windows directory> /OFFBOOTDIR=<offline boot directory>]

/OFFBOOTDIR For offline repair specify the location of the offline boot directory
/OFFWINDIR For offline repair specify the location of the offline windows directory

Do a Google search for more guidance:

[highlight #EF2929]OFFWINDIR W7[/highlight]

Vince
ASAP Member (VopThis) - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

Are you attempting to repair Windows 7 SP1 with a Windows 7 non SP1 DVD? If so, try removing the Service Pack before any repair attempt. You will have to reinstall SP1 later.

linney - I am using a Win7 SP1 media disk..

vop - thanks for the info, I was not aware of that option. Does the Home vs Pro and the 32 vs 64 bitness have to match between the two disks? I will try that before wiping the disk and re-install. Right now am running a couple of offline virus scans just in case there is a virus.

I can only guess that different OS variations could and likely will be a problem.

You might first want to try THE DIRECTIONS in this link with your original OS disk:

Suggest you first try this command diagnostic TEST (ADVANTAGE: no automatic changes are made):

SFC /VERIFYONLY /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

Vince

vop - I was able to run the sfc offline scan on the full system, but it did not find any corrupted modules. Am running the Windows Defender Offline bootable CD tonight, but Search/Destroy did not find anything either. Are there other tools that I can use to determine why loginui.exe, sfc.exe and userinit.exe give an error indicating the RmtRtRemote.dll module is not compatible with Windows or is corrupted? I now suspect something in the registry is corrupted, but do not know what or where to look. Thanks for the pointer to the parameters to sfc to allow it to be run from the RE mode when booted from the installation DVD.
Art

I suspect there were typos in some of the file names you provided.

Try a Google Search with the following terms:

userinit logonui rpcRtRemote.dll not compatible w7

The following MS link discusses 'bad images' and an in-place upgrade install

Vince

Vop,
It is now corrected. I had tried to do an in-place upgrade install before, but could not get the system to boot. Once I found the f8 option of Disabling Driver Signature Enforcement, that enables the system to boot in normal mode but not safe mode since the option is an each boot setting and on the same option list as where safe mode exists. After using that option to boot, then doing an in-place upgrade install and allowing all the updates to be made again and waiting around 4 hours for all to complete, it all appears to be working. Replacing the modules that were flagged as being corrupted or incompatible did not help - a restore was required. Creating a new user logon also did not help. Thanks for your help and pointers that then allowed me to get the system reloaded without a full complete format re-install.

Good to hear of your success.

Thank you for reporting your outcome with your feedback and clarifications.

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back