Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to recieve mail sent from other exchange server on same domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diislander

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2002
US
Here is our setup, we have a windows 2000 domain operating in mixed mode. We originally had all mail on on a NT server running exchange 5.5. After we upgraded to active directory we added a second exhange server this time running exchange 2000 and moved the mailboxes over. This worked fine, messages sent from an account on the exchange 2000 machine to an account on the 5.5 machine made it ok and vice versa, same goes for mail across the internet. Please note that the server running exchange 5.5 was not upgraded to windows 2000, it is still running NTsp6a and that we have active directory connector installed and running on another server.

We later added another windows 2000 server with exhange 2000. It installed without error, there are no error messages in the event logs. The problem we are having is this: when mail is sent from a person on the second exhange 2000 server to first exchange 2000 server, it does make it the the intended mailbox, however when sent to an account on the exchange 5.5 machine or the internet it makes it there fine. Mail does not make it between the exchange 2000 servers, but mail between the exchange servers and the 5.5 server is ok.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Also I forgot to mention that I am able to move mailboxes between the servers without error.

Exchange 5.5 uses X400 to communicate with other exchange servers by default. Exchange 2000 uses smtp to communicate. Could it be smtp is blocked somewhere?

I am able to connect between the servers using telnet on port 25

In the Exchange System manager, for the most recent exchange server under administrative groups, <doamin>, servers, <server name>, protocols, SMTP ... under queues there is a que for the other exchange server with "remote delivery" in Parentheses and there is a blue circular arrow over the icon, all other queues have a green check mark. I'm not sure if this means anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back