Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuzzer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2004
GB
I have added a client and when I attempt to connect to the server from this client I receive the following message: Unable to Receive.

No backups will run due to the RPC failure: Unable to receive.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Is the listener at the client up? (nsrexecd)

Can you run a bacjup (save) from the client?

No, same error. Every time I add the client, it seems to have information from a previous client with the same name.

The error message is strange but your final statement let me think that the client
id is the problem. This is kept in the media index. Due to this fact, it will stay
in the system even if the client
resource has been deleted.

Delete the new client and recreate it, this time assign the exact old client id.

Any luck wuzzer?

I am adding clients for first time since initial install, and seeing the same error.

Well, I solved it on mine...

I neglected to put an entry in the /etc/hosts for the new clients. Even though the /etc/nsswitch.conf had host lookups coming from files and DNS, and DNS did have entry for my clients, but without the local /etc/hosts no go.

Don't know if that was your problem or not.

Well it seems to have solved that problem, Thanks!

However, instead od receiving the 'unable to receive' error, I'm now receiving the following error on the monitor page:

'media warning: \\.\Tape2 moving: fsf 16: unknown error 23 (0x17)'

What does that mean?

It means that the positioning of the tape to filemark 16(fsf = file space forward)
has not successfully ended due to whatever problem.

Why? - no idea, especially if the error is unknown.
Are there more messages?

No that's it, but it's happening on both my SDLT drives in the library and therefore not allowing me to perform a backup.

I doubt that this is a NW problem - NW does not use a specifc driver. So make sure
that OS tools like ntbackup work fine.

And please open another thread as this problem does not have anything to do with rpc errors
or other 'network' related issues.

The error message 23 translates to:

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Code:
net helpmsg 23
would tell you this.

So it most likely means a tape or drive error. If this is a SAN it could be SAN related.

Hello,
It could be bad device driver\Tape\drive or library issue,
try creating fil type device and run a backup to it, if it's sucessfull then look for problem with above.
bombay4U@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back