Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to receive Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

brau

Programmer
Feb 15, 2001
US
I am using Outlook express and can send attachments but not recieve an attachment. I have another machine that cna send and recieve an attachments just fine. Is there some setting that I am missing that enables attachments? Thankyou for your help.

Bob

Sounds like whoever is sending you attachments has the full version of Outlook and is using Rich Text to format the mail and if this is the case you won't receive the attachment in Outlook Express. Get them to re-send the mail using HTML or Plain Text and you'll receive the attachment.

Best regards,
Pat Ansin

Do have Plain text selected. I can send from express and it works fine, but when the attachment is sent through Outlook 2k the attachment is not recieved to the person using Express. I just updated their ie browser to 5.5 as well to update outlook express. Still doesn't recieve attachments from outlook 2k users. Any other ideas?

Do you have your message format in Outlook 2000 also set to Plain Text to send mail and attachments ? If you don't and this is set to Rich Text, the person at the other end with only Outlook Express won't be able to see the attachments you send. Message formats in Outlook 2000 must be set to either HTML or Plain Text if you're transmitting attachments to people with only Express or another mail program.

Best regards, Patricia Ansin
Director
The Callista Group
Development Centre
Auckland, New Zealand

Yes, I do have Plain text selected as my option in outlook 2k.

bob

I was also having this problem with Outlook Express (IMAP) clients not receiving attachments. It turned out to be the protocol settings for IMAP on the Exchange server. There is a check box that was selected to "Send messages in Microsoft Rich text format" Clearing that checkbox resolved the problem.

Checked this out, it is not checked. Any other Ideas?

Dear Mr. Brau

I am also suffering from the same problems of missing attachments with outlook 2k & oe. Also I have tried all options suggested in threads.

Pl. let me know if you have some overcome/hints about the problems

Thanks Jeevan Jyoti (Exec - IT)
jeevan.jyoti@uaml.net

We have find a solution after lot of testing at our end. Some of our users are using Office'97/2000. and we found that those persons, who are using same .pst file from outlook'97/2000 are giving problem.

Person using Outlook Express is not getting the mails from those persons who are using same PST file in both the version.

You can also check it out at your end.

Are you saying they are using both 97 and 2000 or that they have upgraded from 97 to 2000 and using same .pst file???

I converted a couple of people from 2000 to express. when an attachment is sent from 2000 to express, express does not receive the attachment. If sent from express to express, ok. If 2000 to 2000, ok. if express to 2000, ok. I've checked the exchange server settings for the rich text settings and it is not checked, same as outlook setting on computer.

no, other way. After a lot of trials we also had to shift our problemetic clients to outlook express
Jeevan Jyoti (Exec - IT)
jeevan.jyoti@uaml.net

Dear NKL

In both the cases, the problem persits.

We had a same problem of missing attachment files in outlook express while sending mails from nodes those are sharing pst files and using ms-outlook'97 and ms-outlook'2000.

I was using Office'97 and also using the same pst file on different machine, which is having office'2000. Those users who is using office'97 and never used his pst file was not giving such type of problem.

We have tried to create a fresh/new pst on both the nodes then it was working fine with Outlook Express.

Brau,
I am experiencing the same symptoms as your Aug 13 posting. And I too have Plain Text selected everywhere and my Outlook Express users are not getting the attachments. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I am experiencing the exact same difficulties with Outlook Express. Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks

Has anyone ever found a solution to this problem. I to have a group of users who have the same problem.

Thanks

I am Using Outlook 2000 as my mail client on desktops and have Exchange Server 5.5 installed on my Server. Till few days back it was working fine...untill i started facing problems with the "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" service not starting automatically. Also if tried to start explicitly, it gave error. Then i tried checking the consistency of the priv.edb and pub.edb using the "eseutil /mh ..\mdbdata\priv.edb" which stated that the database was Inconsistent. Thus I restored the database using "eseutil /r /ispriv" after which i was able to retrive my old mails and the attachments.
But then onwards i have been facing problems with new mails(incomming and outgoing). Incomming mails come without the attachments and while trying to send a mail with attachment, Outlook popsup a messagebox "The Operation Failed."
Please help me resolve this issue.

Thanks.
Kuntesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back