Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to read L20 media in DLT7000 Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood12345

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2002
GB

I have StorageTek L20 Tape Library using Arcerve 2000(SP4) as my backup software.

When I try to read tapes from the Tape Library in a DLT7000 drive i get an "Unreadable Media Message", I don't suspect that this is a problem with the backup software or DLT drives as I have tested them and they seem to work OK.

Other than this the L20 unit backup and restores work OK! Although I need to prove for disaster recovery purposes that these tapes can be restored offsite.

I have contacted StorageTek who inform me that there should be no compatibility problems with DLT7000 drives.

Any Help would be appreciated

I take it you have DLT7000's in the L20?

I don't know if this is even an issue, but check the firmware on both drives. Maybe there is something there?

Have you tried running Arcserve with the debug option? Arcserve will create a log file with each command sent to the drive. It might help you pinpoint the cause.

If your DLT7000 drives are running V106 and your tapes were written by drives running V101.... this maybe the problem. V106 tightened the calibration track tolerances.. V101 is much more forgiving. Try down grading your drives to V101

It sounds as though you need to re-init(in 4000 mode and then again in 7000 mode only or degauss with a DLTIV quality degausser, not cheap!) all your tapes with V106 as quickly as possible. You are heading for a major data loss. V101 is only a quick fix to save the data in the short term, it will not help in the longterm, in fact it may prove disastrous......V107 is in the wings for delivery soon........! But you need to get your data off a tape that was initialised with codes before V106.....

V107 has been released, but do not forget to do the re-init for best results.

Hi There

Does any one have the binary file with the v106 code for a DLT7000.
I have tried to get it at the StorageTek´s homepage, but i only found a DLT7000_V106_OMX-105.TZ_IMAGE and i can't get anyone to tell me if this is the code or some zipped stuff that only the StorageTek techies can use with special tape tool.

I have the Quantum DLTTools, which should be able to do when i have the binary code.

StorageTek Denmark dosn't mention V107 yet. What should be fixed ?

Henrik Grevelund

Fix information is contained in a document with the code. The code you have will also download using dlttools, either DOS or Windows versions.
Do you stll need the V107? If yes, give me an email address to send it to.

Hi everyone!
I would like to know where can I find dlt7000 firmware version 107, Thanks for your time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back