Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to read email from 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbytech

Technical User
Jun 22, 2005
US
I am having problems signing into att.net and excite.com to read my email. I keep getting "unable to connect to web.auth server. My system consist of a Duron 1.8 cpu, 768 MB Memory, Niva Geoforce 8400GS 512mb graphic card windows xp sp3 and a Vista View TV Tuner.I'm also having problems signing into MSN IM and on bootup the "found new hardware" keep telling me I have a PCI moden connected. I do not have a PCI Modem(phone line) I'm using a DSL line.

Just b/c you don't use a dial-up modem doesn't mean you don't have one.

My initial guess, however, is that your problem is with your network connection settings.

How you get there depends on what browser you're using. In Internet Explorer, you go to Tools (IE6 and before), Internet Options, and Connections tab. In IE7, you go to the little doohickey that lists things like print, options, etc, and find Internet Options.. rest is the same..

Anyhow, you go to the Connections Tab under Internet Options.

First thing, if there is anything listed in the dial-up and VPN (Virtual Private Network) settings box, click each and remove them - BUT ONLY IF YOU KNOW YOU DO NOT USE ANY OF THEM.

Next, make sure "Never dial a connection" is selected of the 3 radio buttons below that.

Next, click the LAN Settings button. In the next screen, make sure that Use a Proxy Server... is not checked, unless you know you want to use one. If you're a home user, and you're using DSL, then I highly doubt it.

Once all of that is done, OK out of all the screens, close out Internet Explorer, and try it again...

Since you're getting the "found new hardware" for a PCI modem coming up that can be a couple different things.

It could be that you have a modem with a bad driver.
It could be that Windows is reading some hardware incorrectly for some reason.
It could be a ghost - okay, so that one's a joke. [wink]

To fix that:
Press the Windows Key and the <R> button you your keyboard.
Type devmgmt.msc in the Run command box that pops up, and press the <Enter> button on your keyboard.
In the Device Manager Windows that comes up, first look for any Yellow exclamation marks.
Next, if you have one, and it says it's a modem, just right-click on that device, and select "disable" - that way it'll be out of the picture altogether, and no more prompts to install.

Then reboot Windows, see if your web works correctly, and if not, post back here. Depending upon what your problem is, you may end up getting better help in another forum, such as forum779.

Whether any of this works or not, post back with your results, questions, etc.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I did everything you suggested before I posted my problem. Just to be sure I redid everything as you suggested. All the problems remain. I'm going to try reinstalling window XP after I wipe out the hard drive. thanks for the advice.

Also, if you're using a firewall, that could also cause the issues.

And if you're mainly having problems connecting to specific sites, it could be the DNS settings causing the issues. You could try using OpenDNS servers instead to see if that cures your issues. You can Google for more info there.. the IP addresses for the servers are free to use, and you can find them all over the web, as well as at the OpenDNS site: .

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Strange idea, has your profile gone corrupt?
If you look under Docs and Settings, you should see just the folder with your name ( or whatever account you log under).
If you see, example Hobbytech.TEMP, then its corrupt.
All your files, settings and such will be in this TEMP folder.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I brought a new hard drive(much bigger) and did a clean install. Problem solved. Will play around with the old drive on another computer to see what files were corrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back