Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to RDP into server, network setup confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeno81

MIS
Mar 23, 2009
Hi there...

Recently there was a power outage at my friend's doctor office where she worked. This blew up the PIX 501 they had. They didn't want another CISCO unit, and I don't know how to program a PIX, so I replaced it with a Linksys BEFSX41 Firewall Router. I got everything configured to how it was before, except they're still not able to RDP in to their server. I've done some basic RDP troubleshooting, such as setting up Port Forwarding in the firewall for 3389. Yet it just doesn't seem to want to take.

My theory is that it's getting hung up between two networks. There's two networks because one machine needs to sit on the "outside" so the parent company can access it. I don't know why the network was set up this way, but I want to preserve it's integrity as best I can so I don't add complication. Let me explain the setup:

Comcast modem, static IP outside. Inside: 10.1.10.1
DHCP addressing for 10.1.10.x
Firwall disabled
|
Desktop machine for outside parent company access
connected directly to modem
|
Linksys Firewall, DHCP to modem. Inside: 172.22.2.61
Port Forwarding of 3389 to 172.22.2.1 (server)
|
Server Standard 03, DHCP server, 172.22.2.1
DHCP addressing for 172.22.2.x

I'm flummoxed. I'd liek to set everything inside of the modem, to a 172.22.2.x scheme but it didn't seem to want to work or I did it wrong.

Help? :)

You are never going to get a packet through the linksys from the internet unless it has a public ip address.

As it turns out, I didn't realize that just because the modem's firewall is disabled, doesn't mean it's going to allow all the traffic.

I DMZ'ed the switch, and that did the trick. Sometimes you just skip over the simple stuff without meaning to :) Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back