Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to RDP after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyklop0

MIS
May 8, 2001
US
Hi,

I recently bounced my window 2003 box to clear up all print queue. Now i'm unable to RDP to this server. Does anyone experience this before? I tried to google it but a few thing come up nothing work so far.

thanks

C

Can you telnet to port 3389 and get a response? Port 3389 is the port used by RDP and should respond.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Did you try to reboot again?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I have had this issue happen often prirmarily on 64-bit Windows 2003 servers. No rhyme/no reason just RDP doesn't accept connections (firewall is off, can telnet to port 3389,etc). Usually another reboot will solve the issue.

I second itsp's comment, has fixed my issue with this several times.

Anyone know a more permanent fix?

Hi all,

I don't have a fix or I should say the only fix is rebooting the server, but I would like to share an idea with you. Cyklop0 check back into your event logs and retrace when you did your reboot. Once you did the reboot did the server go down and came back up or did it ever go down? Best way to find out is to check the event logs for uptime. If the uptime is greater than the time when you last rebooted your system then it never rebooted.

I've had this issue before where the system tries to reboot, but never does and in the process it kills terminal services from responding to requests even though telneting to port 3389 on the box in question is still available.

I see this problem all the time, too, and haven't figured out or found a permanent fix. My servers are W2K3 SP1. And SP1 was supposed to be the fix to that problem (or so we were told by MS Support before we had SP1 installed). The only way that I've been able to avoid the problem is to connect with an RDP console session (Start > Run > mstsc /console) instead of a regular RDP session. By doing that, my reboots have been successful 99.9% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back