Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to publish ppx files from PPES in Series 7 Version 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

macrus

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
AU
Fellow Cognos nuts,
After upgrading from 7.0 to 7.1 (the next version up from Series 7 initial release) we are experiencing a weird problem where we are NOT able to publish ppx reports to Upfront from the PPES Admin tool.

We CAN publish cubes to Upfront.
All our settings seem to allow the publishing of ppx files but we continue to receive an error "Unable to Publish to Upfront"

Anyone up to this stage with 7.1??

We've already tried creating a NEW report (ppx file) using 7.1 client software but with NO success.

Would love to hear if anyone else has come across this peculiarity.

cheers,
Macrus [bigglasses]

Are you sure your PowerPlay Report was created against a web/remote cube as opposed to a local cube? This is an important distinction as the target/source cube's internal ID identifer in question would not be within the Objectstore/PPES environment...

Have you tried using the PowerPlay client to publish PPX reports instead of PPES?

Pedro Cardoso
A.K.A CanadianTechie
[pc2]

Pedro,
These reports were defintely created against a web/remote cube. I have even created a NEW report against a NEW remote cube and PPES still will NOT publish a *.ppx file.

Cognos Australia Support are also confused because we CAN publish a cube to Upfront and ALSO open ANY report and/or cube using the "Open with Browser" button within PPES.

The only indicator of a potential problem is the fact that each time I attempt to publish a report I am prompted to 'logon' to the Namespace. Cognos is trying and I suspect failing to 'authenticate' us when we publish reports from PPES.

I have also tried publishing a *.ppx to Upfront from Powerplay Client but receive an error like this "Login to Upfront failed"

I've checked and re-checked my Upfront server config. but I guess I should check it again.
thanks anyway,

Macrus [bigglasses]

Pedro (&others),
I've since discovered that I am ONLY unable to publish a *.ppx file if it was created linking to a REMOTE cube.

A *.ppx report created against a LOCAL cube is fine.

What's the real difference between local cubes and remote? We have NO real need to use a REMOTE cube but would like to understand why we cannot publish reports created on these remote suckers!!

thanks,
Macrus [bigglasses]

We have now resolved this issue and it related to the ppx file specification which was fixed by running the upfadm.exe with the Upgrade command. This takes the Upfront.pkg file created when backing up the Upfront metadata and replaces all references to 'cer2' with 'cer3'.

thanks for the thoughts Pedro & others

Glad to hear you solved your problem. Thank you for letting us know about the Upgrade command with respect to the ppx specifications between V7.0 and V7.1 -- others might run into similar problems. In my case, we are a new install of 7.1, so these version related issues are such that I would never run across or be aware of.

Cheers,

Pedro Cardoso
A.K.A CanadianTechie
[pc2]

How do you run the upfadm.exe utility? I cant even find it on my disk anywhere. I am now experiencing the same problems that you initially described.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back