Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to promote a domain member server to domain controller in W2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

snwill

MIS
Jan 22, 2002
US
I have a member server in my domain that I need to promote to domain controller to provide a backup. When I use dcpromote, I don't receive any recognition of my .org domain extension, but it will recognize the root padtest.
At the end as it tries to promote and add active directory, I get the message that the domain is either not an active directory domain or that the domain controller cannot be found. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for the help.

What's your primary domain? NT or 2000? Also, did you mean dcpromo? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"You cannot create experience. You must undergo it."
Albert Camus (1913-1960); French writer and philosopher

Sorry, typo. Yes dcpromo. All members of this domain are win2k on an isolated subnet.

Check 2 places. Make sure you don't have a nic sending out bad packets, (This happened to me, and my users couldn't even find the domain until I found and un-plugged the bad nic), and make sure your using the proper server for your master browser. (Sorry, at this time I can't give any more information about this, but I've been changing my 2000 pro's to log onto the domain. So far about half couldn't log on. I found one thing in common. The ones that worked had an error message that they couldn't promote themselves, and the master browser was set to the proper server. The ones that didn't work thought the other 2000 machines were the master browser. Just found this out today, so I've got some research to do on this.) Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"You cannot create experience. You must undergo it."
Albert Camus (1913-1960); French writer and philosopher

Have you try??

- Delete that member server from the AD.
- Add it back to the domain again (System=>Network Id...)
- Then try promting again.

I would find out if the member server have problem finding the DC at all.

nbtstat -c

Can help you out.

You can also try to use the LMHOSTS file.

I experienced a few problems using dcpromo, to demote an underpowered server running Active Directory. It turns out that having rushed the setup I overlooked the DNS settings which made it hard for the other servers to communicate with it prpoerly.

Give it a try. Make sure all your servers pass their DNS tests.

It worked for me.

Is the server using a static IP?
Do you have a static DNS entry pointing to the Forest DNS server?
Have you tried a default gateway pointing to the Forest root controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back