Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Ping Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamaar

Technical User
Jun 29, 2000
GB
I have several servers on the network. I can Ping all but one. I have tried pinging it's DNS name and IP address and they both time out. Other people can ping this server no problem so the server is us and running fine. I have looked at hosts.sam and there are no entries for this server. Any ideas?

Thanks. Lamaar75@hotmail.com

Can the server ping anyone else on the network?

Are you using purely IP or do you have IPX or something else installed on the server? Are your IP addresses and masks appropriate?

I believe that HOST file shouldn't have any extension. The sam at the end stands for sample file. These need to have the server entered statically.

IF YOU HAVE A ROUTED NETWORK MAKE SURE THAT THE COMPUTER THAT CAN NOT RECONIZE THE SERVER HAS A CONNECTION TO THE ROUTER THAT TAKES YOU TO THE SERVER.
CHECK IT WITH A DOS PROMPT AND THIS COMMAND A THE "LOST" COMPUTER
C:\ROUTE PRINT

Still no joy I'm afraid...have tried everything...All the servers are based in the same room. i can ping either one of the others but not this one. My colleague who sits next to me can! Lamaar75@hotmail.com

what does this server do, if I may ask? What you may try to do, is add the server to the HOST file IP address first, server name secondly, if this server uses WINS however, then you have to add it to the lmhost file.

Make sure then when you save the file, that you have no extention on it, for instance, .txt, .sam, exc.

Iv'e managed to do it, and I can't believe how simple it was. The server was a Notes server, and for some reason it did not like my IP address. I get this from a DHCP pool. When I released and renewed it - it was fine.

Thanks for all the help anyway. Lamaar75@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back