Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to ping router

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldfishflake

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
US
Help, I installe nw6, have a lan with Cisco 2620 routers connecting school sites. Both routers configured the same. I can ping the local router, but not the one across a t1. The other site can not find the server. I have rip with arp proxy enabled, as suggested at Novell site. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

An update, now I can ping the other router from the server, after configuring the static route. Went to the other school, and still can't access the server! What could be wrong. Typically, my school district doesn't have any money to hire a professional network engineer to resolve these problems. I am doing the best I can, and learning by the seat of my pants! Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Hi

If you can not ping beyond your local segment it is usually a routing problem, such as a static route which you have found. I am not familiar with you Cisco box, but sounds like you can not ping thru to your server - Does it have any NAT feature or firewall which might be stopping the pings. I find it is best to sit down a draw a diagram of the layout listing all IP addresses - remember each side of your router has a public and a private address range. So it would look like this: SERVER A (private address ) - Cisco (Private address) - Cisco (Public Address)- T1 Link - Cisco (Public address)- Cisco (private address)- Server B
Get the idea - anyway your private addresses side A should be in the same address range and the private addresses on Side B should also be in the own address range. Often I have made a simple mistake of IP's which are not in the correct address range for that interface.
Clear as Mud...
Anyway if you provide a little more detail we can offer some more suggestions.
Good luck
David CNE

Could changing the 'spanning tree portfast' feature on the routers have anything to do with the communication problems? I have recently been able to ping to the server, but still can't access it. I can't even access it using unicast, although I thought if I could ping it I should be able to access it? I have the clients at the remote site able to 'see' the tree, but still won't connect. I get the old 'tree or server not found' message. I have set up slp and scopes and about everything else I can think of off the Novell site to troubleshoot this. I am not sure what you mean by 'address range'? I have one side using 10.0.0.x and the other using 10.0.1.x? This was set up by CNE who installed our CIPA Filter which allows everyone access to the Internet. The problem with the network existed before he set up the internal network, so it is not from that. He has been trying to help me resolve this, although he doens't 'do' Netware! If my address range is a problem, I can get that resolved if it will help!

Check in Inetcfg - protocols - TCPIP that ROUTER is not set for "END NODE" if it is change it and reboot server.

Regards

David

Checked that, it is not set for 'end node'. Thanks, any thing else I should check?

SLP Might not be advertising it self across the link - If you can ping the server, but carn't login then you may need to set up a static SLP address in SLP.cfg - Run "Display SLP
services" at the console and it should see the SLPDA which you have configured at the other site. If not you will need a static and use UNICAST instead of multicast.

Regards

David

In order for your different sites to see each other either via the servers or the clients you are going to have to configure SLP properly.
One of the servers will need to be setup as a DA, all other servers can be left as SA's but make sure that they are configured with a static DA entry in the SLP.CFG file and that you configure the server to only look at the cfg file, i.e. SLP discovery options = 4. Also make sure you create a scoped scope in NDS and hand out the scope list and the DA IP address to your client workstations through DHCP or some other method.
Novell has some good TIDs that explain how to design this...

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back