Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable To Ping Outside Windows 2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecureNetworx

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
US
Hi All,

We have a Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Windows 2003 R2 Std Ed. Service Pack 2) with Intel Pro/1000 MT nics and it is unable to ping outside itself. Pings to localhost respond correctly and we have checked physicals. Any help greatly appreciated.

Ping default gateway

Any response? Can other servers ping that gateway. Can other servers ping this server?

Sounds like nic config issue (check IP, mask, default gateway settings) or the physical link (cable) is at fault.

Hi, and thanks for your interest issue.

I've been able to plug a laptop into the Cat5 cable the server is using and pull DHCP and browse network resources successfully so I'm pretty certain there are no issues outside the server.

I tried a Microsoft recommendation to use Netsh to rebuild the IP stack and on reboot the server did pull an IP configuration from DHCP but then would not respond again.

Bad NIC.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

I've tried both NIC's and they are showing the same issue. I'm currently looking for information on uninstalling and re-installing tcp/ip.

Enhanced Internet Security?

--
The stagehand's axiom: "Never lift what you can drag, never drag what you can roll, never roll what you can leave.

Ok I vaugely remember a similar issue but it did have a particular symptom.

The similiar issue I had was that the nic would not hold a static address, whenever it was set we'd go back into the tcp/ip properties and it was cleared.

The problem was driver related, we'd installed the intel drivers rather than the correct broadcom drivers.

I suggest ripping out the nic drivers and reinstalling them ensuring the correct ones are used.

Also try slapping in a cheap 3rd party nic and see if the issue remains.

heh, we had this issue, verify your cable is Cat5 and not Cat3. Hard set the Nic to 10/100 duplex (if you have gig that is).

Auto sense can do strange things to speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back