Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Open Windows Workgroup after Anti Virus removal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hap007

MIS
Mar 21, 2003
US
Help?

I have several Windows systems running on an internal network. All was working fine, except one PC, a Windows Pro XP was randomly re-booting.

I finally determined that the cause was CA-Internet Security Suite and CA Antivirus that was causing this.

I uninstalled CA and installed Norton Antivirus 2007.

All of a sudden, this PC can not open Up the 'View Workgroup Computers' states that List of servers is not currently available

I have removed File Sharing, Changed this PC computer workgroup. Renamed the PC. Deleted shares and recreated shares. I can not even open 'View Workgroup Computers' on this PC. Yet, network cable and internet is still working.

On other PC's, I can see this 'broken' PC in the workgroup but when I drill down, it fails, stating 'Network Path Not Found'. I can not even see the shared printer.

Something between removing CA and installing Norton has pissed off this computer and I can not figure out what.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hap...

Access Developer [pc] Access based Accounting Solutions - with free source code
Access Consultants forum

Does the Norton program have any hidden firewalling components that need to be configured to allow access?

Did the uninstall of CA-Internet Security Suite and CA Antivirus complete successfully?

Can this machine Ping and be Pinged?

Have you tried "Safe Mode With Networking" to see if you have access without all the third party programs starting?

Are there any clues in the Event Viewer?

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems

Hi,

Thanks for getting back

I can ping out from this machine and receive response back
When I ping this machine from another PC, I get no response
When I ping the 'bad' PC using the Bad PC, I get no response

I have checked everything I can think of.
I have turned off the firewall
I have removed and re-installed several clients, nothing seems to work.

Seem that the 'Pinging' problem might be the issue. Never saw that before.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hap...

Access Consultants forum

I would be interested to know if you tried the following, as it does sound like a firewall blocking issue?

Have you tried "Safe Mode With Networking" to see if you have access without all the third party programs starting?

Ping is controlled by firewall settings which control ICMP packets.

If you mean you have turned off the Windows Firewall, that is all you can do with that. However turning off third party firewalls, or their hidden components, is not enough, they need to be uninstalled in order to check for firewalling problems.

I am still guessing that the CA firewall is controlling your lack of access, does that have a Service called "TrueVector" that is still on your machine. The reason I ask that is once upon a time ZoneAlarm and CA (or E-Trust) firewalls were pretty similar? Are there any other firewalling services (besides Windows) running in Services?

Did you try the Winsock Fix too?

WinXP Connectivity Issues
FAQ779-4625: Lost Connectivity after Registry or Malware Cleanup

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I started in safe mode and I was able to Ping the PC.

I can also now see the computer in the workgroup, in Safe mode.

So, as you suggest, something (probably firewall related) is getting started in a normal startup.

So, I have tried to check for any services, but I can not seem to find anything.

I completely deleted the CA folder which was not removed during the software removal. No good.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hap...

Access Consultants forum

So now you start the process of elimination. As a prime suspect I would look at all the non=Microsoft Services running on your machine.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Boot into normal mode, click start, goto run and type in: sfc /scannow

Exactly like that, make sure you have your system restore disks available.

Hi w1nn3r,

What will sfc /scannow do?

FYI, I started in safe mode and wrote down what services were running.

Then, I re-boot in standard mode and tried to stop all extra services that got started. After each service stopped, I tried to ping the PC. Seemed to make no difference, although there were several services that I could not stop.

This is frustrating and CA support and Symantec support still have not responded.

errrrrr, still perplexed.

Thanks,
Hap...

Access Consultants forum

SFC is a system file checking utility. It will replace any problem or corrupt OS files. You need to be in normal mode as it wont let you run(Due to certain services being off) the command in safemode. Also, you can goto run, type MSCONFIG and goto the services tab, check the box that says hide MS services and uncheck at your discretion but be careful as unchecking the wrong thing here can cause your system not to boot.

Hi,

Thanks.

Using msconfig, I have discovered exactly what service is causing the problem.

The service is from Symantec/Norton Anti Virus 2007

The exact service is 'Symantec Settings Manager'.
I start this service, ping fails and Can not access Workgroup shares. Stop this service and ping and shares work.

That is the good news.

The bad news, I still do not know what is set wrong and I can see no settings to change in Norton.

So, I will contact their tech support, but anyone with any experience with this is welcome to suggest how to fix this issue.

I have a 5 user license for this product and it works fine on 3 other PCs also running the same XP operating system.

Thanks,
Hap...

Access Consultants forum

It seems you have a case of Anti performance (the politically correct description is 'preemptive protection' - any computer except this one is a national security threat, so don't connect to anyone).

I would recommend reading some threads up:

'Anti Virus or Anti performance?' (
and 'caught in a Norton Protection Center loop' (
Try the Norton removal tool (
check your connectivity, and then (if you must) reinstall Norton.

Hi,

I will give these a try.
I connect to Symantec Chat: 38 users before me in the que, so I guess I will try some more things on my own.

Regarding your comment:
It seems you have a case of Anti performance (the politically correct description is 'preemptive protection' - any computer except this one is a national security threat, so don't connect to anyone).

Funny thing, I can connect to everything on the internet, no problem. I just can not connect to my own work group.

This is like 'Reverse Protection' I can not share my own stuff, but the rest of the world, who cares. ha ha.

Thanks,
Hap...

Access Consultants forum

Hi,

I want to thank all who tried to help with this.

The msconfig utility helped me narrow the problem down to Norton Anti Virus

After contacting their tech support, it seems that Norton does strange things on installs.

Any Way, under Worm Blocking, if you turned that off, all worked ok, but need that protection.

Solution:
Problem actualy was in Norton> Antivirus>Internet Worm>Configure

Then under the 'General Rules' is where these permissions are defined.

In my case, all other PC's had File Sharing Allowed, but the bad PC had File Sharing Blocked.
I change the 'Blocked' Setting to allowed, rebooted, ran Live Update and now all is good.

Go figure why same program installs differently on PCs, But I am letting everyone know incase this might help someone else.

Problem Solved.

Thanks,
Hap...

Access Consultants forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back