Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to open PPS files in Vista. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim36320

Technical User
May 10, 2003
US
OS is Vista Home Premium. I am unable to open PPS files in Vista no matter where they come from I have installed Powerpoint
Viewers,2003 and 2007, also went into the Registry and changed shell command from Show to Open, still no luck. The error I get is "Windows Cannot Find 'C:\users\jim\ plus the name of the PPS file, such as 'C:\users\jim\Beautiful flowers.pps'.
Any help I can get on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.
Jboy

Are you only using a viewer and not the actual program?
I know the Visio viewer only worked if you opened the file in IE, you could not open it from windows explorer. That was a few years ago, but I bet that it works the same way.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

C:\users\jim\ plus the name of the PPS file
This being a link, I would have to ask is there such a file on your hard drive in that location?

Seems to me all your friend did was send you the path to the file as it resides on his computer. but never really sent the file.

As such that path now points to a place on your computer that does not exist.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I thought about that too, but since his name is Jim and the path was Jim, I assumed that was not the case. But that is certainly a good question.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

What happens when you click on the file itself? Does it still say it cannot find the file or does it say it doesn't know which program to use to open the file?

When you right-click on the file and look at the Properties, down at the bottom of the page, is there any "Unblock" check box that needs attention?

A big thank you to all who responded, especially linney who put me on the right track, by telling me to click on properities, there I found the option of using Internet Explorer or Powerpoint Viewer to view this type file. Problem is solved, again guys
Jimbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back