Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to open port for listening under solaris 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

agilo

Programmer
Feb 4, 2004
TR
Hi,

I do have a problem to allow a daemon on a client machine to communicate with the the same daemon on the server.
The daemon selected a port and opened the connection on the server without problem (which its phyically exists); I see results for netstat -an |grep <port no.>.

While the same daemon is mounted on another machine, which is running Solaris 8 also, can not open connection on the same port, I do not get any results for the netstat -an grep <port no>.
I do not understand why it works on one machine and does not work on the other.

does any body has idea?

Thanks,

Agilo

do you get any returncode from the daemon or from the system call? did you try to run the deamon in debug/verbose mode? Did you try a "truss /command/to/start/daemon"

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years in the domain of the OS, Backup and Storage

Thanks Franz,

I do not get any returncode from the daemon; like it starts normal without any problems, only can not open the port. As said the same daemon started on another machine and opend the port without problem. I tried also truss, but nothing help.

The machines are not behind firewall or so.

Best regards,

Agilo

What daemon is it? Can you configure the ports it listens on somehow? Is the port it uses listed in /etc/services, but belongs to another service?

Annihilannic.

Are you running the daemon as [tt]root[/tt]? If the port you're trying to open is 1024 or below (or is it 1023?), you need to be root.

Also, like daFranze says, try [tt]truss[/tt] and see what it's doing just as it fails.

Hope this helps.

The daemon belongs to a client server application, it can starts communication via a default port, the port can be also configured via a Unix parameter, changing the port number did not help.

The default port is 53479; is not in the root range.

I have also tried truss, and I do not see any errors in the system calls, the daemon also starts without error messages

Defining the two ports in /etc/services did not also help.

The daemon can be started without problems on the server side, while this problem occurs on the client side..

Please, help.

Thanks,

Usually in a client/server arrangement the daemon on the host side will open the port to listen on, and the daemon on the client side will open a connection to that port on the remote server, but it will not listen on the same port on the client system.

Are you sure the client daemon is supposed to listen for connections? Do you have other clients already configured which do that?

Annihilannic.

Yes, the same daemon is configured and running on another client with different server. The only changes is that the server is different. Also, the daemon listen on the server without problem, netstat -an |grep <port no> returns normal results.

The client is condfigured to listen, and I have integrated one of the clients from another configuration (which the daemon does not has any problem) to this new configuration, but it did not also work.

any ideas,

What is the output of pfiles 12345 where 12345 is the PID of the daemon? How does it compare to the working one onthe other host?

Annihilannic.

When using the pfiles <PID>, on a working machine, I get back the prompt, and about 13 steps are shown, including port number.

while with this not working one, after the 9th step, the pfiles hangs, does not continue and does not return back the prompt.

Agilo

i suggest to substitute the executable on the client with a wrapper script; the script contains a
Code:
#!/bin/csh
truss -f -o /tmp/truss.out [i]daemonname[/i] $*

look into /tmp/truss.out!

Can you contact the guys from the client server application?

Did you run a snoop in the client, to see, if the server tries to connect the client?

Best Regards, Franz
--
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years in the domain of the OS, Backup and Storage

Hi Guys,

I am back again regarding my unsolved problem.
Thanks daFranze for your help, I have tried truss and nothing look abnormal, using snoop shows that the server sends requests but the client send a reset.
I do not know why that happen, the problem I do not have contact with the guys who wrote this application...

Please help...

thanks,

do you have a fireall or a packetfilter on this client?

Best Regards, Franz
--

No, we do not have any firewalls or packetfilter between the client and the server..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back