Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to open Office CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethian1

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
US
My MS Streets & Trips failed to open, and a notice came up about something regarding a network, which I don't have. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it but could not open the CD containing the application. I tried to uninstall/reinstall Office, which contains S&T, but the CD failed to open. This was not the case with a variety of other CDs, both applications, data and audio, so it is not the CD drive.

I went back to an earlier date (a month before) in the registry, but that didn't help. Any suggestions? (None that suggest a re-format will be considered! :)-) )

Sound like the CD itself, hopefully it is only dirty. You can clean it with a soft damp cloth, if it is really dirty you can use warm water and a mild detergent. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

BTW my computer is a Dell Dimension L866r with ~850mb, 256mb and 35 gigs. The CDs are pristine, and the problem occurs with both the Office CD and the Streets & Trips CD.

You didn't say what operating system you were running, but if it's 95,98,98SE,NT or 2000 you could try running Microsoft's Regclean and see if that helps. Could be a problem in the registry?
One link to the file is:-
Microsoft no longer supports this product and it can have problems with some software, but you can restore if problems do occur.

Sorry. Forgot to mention that I'm running ME. I did go back to an earlier registry date, to no effect.

What message did you get regarding the network? Microsoft cd's won't install or run off of network drives. I know you said you don't have a network but maybe it thinks you do?
Just a thought...

The gods have smiled their twisted smiles at me. I tried installing it once again and it worked. Who knows what evil...Thanks for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back