Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to open excel document 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

imquazar

MIS
Sep 23, 2003
US
Error message: Cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or the server the document is stored on may not be responding.

Microsoft's KB says to reload office SR2 on the machine.
That's been done but we get the same result. We even have the file in question backed up on our network, and we've restored from the backups, and those files are getting the same error. We tried restoring the backup to a new location and a different machine and still same error.

HELP!!! Any ideas?
-IQ

That would be great - Unfortunately it's company confidential and can't be released.. (ugh!)

Could you tell me what you might do to recover it and let me try it here? As stated earlier, I've about beat my head into a wall trying to get it to open.

Thanks,
-IQ

Ditto. If you can gain access to a copy of Excel 2002 or 2003 then try the Open and repair option you will find on the Open button on the Open Dialog box.

Failing that you may want to download OpenOffice from and try opening the Excel file from within OpenOffice.calc. It is extremely proficient at opening corrupt Excel files, and will often open files that Excel cannot. It is a free download, BUT is 60MB in size.

Regards
Ken..............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

I love my OpenOffice - I'd never swap for Excel, but it sure as hell complements it well for this kind of thing. :)

Regards
Ken.............

[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Thank you guys for your input.
I've tried open office in Windows and got an invalid file type. Tried open office in Linux and got the same thing.
Tried using a later version of office (xp) and I was able to open the file enough to extract the data from it.

After looking through the data, I'm seeing that it was done using Hyperion Pillar's ESSBase add-in which our customers frequently use.

I'm at lease able to get the data back to the customer, and she can rework it into another spreadsheet.

Again, Thank you all for your help !!!!

I was going to suggest something similar to the above post. Copy the data to a compatible program (Access, Word, etc) Or even a shakey compatible, like dBase IV or Paradox (are they still around), and then convert to a new Excel file.

We get the same error message as above for just one staff member when he or she tries to open an the excel file in question. However, when other staff members under thier own NT user accounts can open this file successfully. We have tried reapplying and checking effective permissions to the network share but still no success. Inheritance of NTFS permissions has not been blocked.

Would anyone have any ideas as to why it would not work for just one staff member with thier NT user account? This staff member belongs to the same NT user groups as the other staff members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back