Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to open email as attachment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatfish

MIS
Dec 19, 2007
US
Greetings,
I have a user who is unable to open an email attachment in Outlook 2003 SP3. The attachment is an email message with just text (no html). When trying to open the attached email, Windows XP pro hour glasses, then returns to idle status.

So far I have:
- Detect & repaired Outlook
- Updated from SP2 to SP3
- Verified all settings to match a working Outlook (including settings in Word)

Any suggestions would be great help, thanks!

Nick

Hi, Nick

Can the user open other attachments OK?

What is the extension of the attachment - .msg?
If so, have you checked the file association for the extension is set up to point to Outlook?

If you save the attachment to a file then does is open Ok via explorer?

Jock

Hi Jock,
The user can open all other attachments without any trouble. Via OWA he can access the email attachments just fine.

The extension is .msg

When saving the attachment to file, it repeats the same issue. Hour glass, quickly returning to idle status.

The file association is currently set to use Microsoft Outlook.

Nick

Hi, Nick

Anything in the application log when that happens?

I would try a new profile. If that also fails then reinstall Outlook.

Jock

Jock,

The application log is empty, no change when trying to open the file.

I have tried to reinstall Outlook along with creating a clean Outlook profile.

When I reinstalled Outlook, I tried with no SP, SP2, and then SP3 and they all were unable to open the .msg file. I looked through the users add-ins and disabled all of them, no change to the .msg issue.

I believe my next step is a clean install of XP. Any added ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Nick

Jock,

Thanks for finding that information, this was driving me insane. haha

Worked like a charm, uninstalled GD and the user is now able to open the .msg files.

Thanks!
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back