Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to open attachments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eksistenz

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2002
US
Exchange 5.5, Outlook 2000.
I have a user that can't open attachments directly from within a recieved message. The attachment can be saved OK, but if you try opening it the following message is received:
'The system cannot find the file specified.'
Any ideas why? The installation of Office 2000 is a new, clean install. The hard disk on the PC in question is almost empty, so it's not lack of space.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

I'm getting the exact same error message, but only with Word 2000 documents internally and externally on several exchange 2000 accounts all running on version of Windows 2000.

I've tried ghosting the PC, recreating the profile and updating the AV and none work. The last piece might be to backup the mailbox to a pst file and delete the exchange mailbox. Recreate the mailbox and move the information back from the pst file.

After searching several meta search engines and This post was the only reference with the same error message.

If you have any idea's or places to search I'd appreciate it.

I have just a quick question for you. Where is the e-mail delivery set on this machine? You can find it by going to control panel, mail, delivery tab and it will tell you there. -Brad :-D
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

When you're having a bad day just remember it could be worse.....couldn't it?

On the Delivery tab,
The 'Deliver new mail to the following location:' is set to Mailbox - <username>

The 'Recipient addresses are processed by these information services in the following order:' is set to
Microsoft Exchange Transport
Microsoft Exchange Remote Transport

It only happens with Word 2000 documents. It is happening with certain emails received both internally and externally. The Word 2000 documents are attached and are not shortcuts.

-flawedkarma

If I were you I'd stop looking at the client end as most errors like this are server related. Make sure you have logging turned on for the Private Store and try again, hopefully you see an error in the log and that usually tells you what’s gone wrong.

Is there an AV solution running on the Exchange server?

I think you may have already answered your question by recreating the user's profile. Also I'd just double check permissions on the Outlook folder. Word will create a temporary image of itself when you open it. Good luck. -Brad :-D
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

When you're having a bad day just remember it could be worse.....couldn't it?

Looks to me like an AV problem. If you are using MAPI/VAPI mode on the server for AV, try changing the mode to MAPI only

There is an AV solution running on the server, McAfee's Outbreak.

I'm reviewing the Event logs for warnings and errors.

What service pack level is Exchange at?

Do you see any 4018 or 4118 event IDs?

Hi all!
I believe it's an IMC creating att.dat file. Check MIME content. Also, check the inbound X.400 address for Trust and Authority as well.

Load the latest SVC. PKG. (SP4) to eliminate unconverted attachment files.If already loaded, reload it. If it doen't solve the problem, you have inherited the problem from higher up (X.400, MTA, SMTP). You cannot not do much at this point but to report it to higher chain and wait. Good luck dudes and dudettes. ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back