Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to open add remove programs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesNicholls

Technical User
Dec 25, 2001
GB
When trying to open add remove programs I get an error res://sp3res.dll/default.hta Line 82
Can anyone Help!

Sounds like this file could have gotten corrupted somehow. Try doing an error check on your hard drive (acces thru tools on your hard drive properties menu). If that doesn't do it, try doing a repair of Win2000.

check and see the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.htc

under the key .htc

Value name : Content Type
Data type : REG_SZ
String : text/x-component

If the values you have are different from this, you can edit them with this. Please make sure to make a copy of the registry values before you edit

Strangely when I go to that registry section the PC locks up... Help anyone?

Also, I have seen whereby uninstalling internet explorer and its service packs then reinstalling it works, I dont have any idea why!

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Several approaches, although this at its root is likely a consequence in most cases of SP4:

1. Start, Run, REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL
Test.

2. Click Start, Run, and copy and paste the line below (it is case sensitive and all one line).
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt

Choose 'Repair' and then reboot on completion.
Test.

3. Reinstall SP4 if installed.

4. Quote: "The problem may be caused by the registry values added by some spyware. The problem was resolved by installing the latest Ad-Aware from the following websites and then
running this program to remove all spyware.

Other solutions to resolve "unexpected error on line 84"
=====================================

in-place upgrade
reinstall SP4

Best Regards,

Keith Rutledge, MCSE NT4/2000
Microsoft Online Support Engineer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back