Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Open a Link in New Window in Int. Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdxyz

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2003
US
Trying to open a new link in IE and all I get is a blank screen. This happened after I received a IE error window when accessing ZDnet. I checked the error detail and it referenced jscript.dll.

So I decided to solve my problem by upgrading to IE6.0. Well, in the install it informed me there was a problem with asctrls.ocx and dxtrans.dll plus the upgrade did not solve my problems.

I then went to the MS knowledgebase and found an article relating to my problem. It wanted me to do regsvr32 on a bunch of dlls and check reg entries. Did that and reg entries were correct but the problem remained. So I re-installed the jscript and dxtrans dlls and the ocx file and still have the original problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? There is probably a simple activex button I need to click or something! Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

If it's a javascript link (as yours seems to be), you can't just click 'Open Link in New Window' - you have to left click on it and it will do it itself.

Let me clarify. When I click on a link a second window does open. This second window is blank and task manager registers that it is not responding. At that point I can hit ESC to cancel operation and then F5 to refresh and page will appear.

Good thing is that pop-up ads never display but I do have a web app that runs java script that will not display and can not be activated with the ESC F5 workaround.

Thanks for the help.

Aha. Thought it sounded a bit too simple to be true...

Although I know plenty of people who'd be glad of a way to stop pop-ups without installing 3rd party software..!

Have you tried installing the latest version of Java to see if that will sort out the muddle (

I loaded java VM not sun as that is what my app uses.

I just got through with an online chat with Ms tech support. Their first solution was to use the repair function which I responded did not fix the problem and I then upgraded to solve the problem.

The response was I should not have upgraded before repairing the 5.5 version. I loved this line-"these files are delicate and can easily get corrupted".

So I replied I have the option to recover to the prior 5.5 version but what do I do at that point since the repair did not work. Guess What!?! My session was terminated with "I hope this session was helpful" blah blah blah. A survey popped up and I vented on how helpful they were.

Off to do more research...

What app? IE works just dandy with the download on that link. I always found VM to be a buggy second-best. :/ Nice to see Microsoft being so helpful though...

I use a program called Jtrader to trade the commodity markets. Very picky about IE and windows version that it is compatible with. Now thinking of deleting and reinstalling IE but thinking I am digging a deeper hole!

I installed Mozilla and it has been great and seems to take less memory. Of course it won't work with Jtrader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back