Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to open a downloaded file in IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

goaganesha

Programmer
Dec 4, 2001
BE
Hi,
I'm running into a problem where I download a ppt presentation from a
web site. I get the usual dialog box giving me the option to "open", "save" or "cancel". However clicking "open" causes the dialog box to appear again, and clicking "open" once more causes powerpoint to launch with an error:

The path or file name for C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\KPQVCHuZ\TEST[1].ppt is
invalid. Please check that the path and file name are correct.

It looks to me like IE downloads the file to a temporary location called \Content.IE5\KPQVCHuZ\TEST[1].ppt ...and then deletes it right away as searching for it after yields nothing (no not even hidden).
Another thing IE seems to do is to rename TEST.PPT to TEST[1].PPT . Dowloading this very same file from the same page using Mozilla works fine.
I use de dundas component to upload the files.
Also .doc files open fine when clicked.
Any ideas?

regards, goaganesha

Hi

Try clearing your cache and history in IE.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Glen
Conception | Execution

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your answer but the problem isn't just occuring on my pc only, but every visitor is unable to open the ppt without saving it first.
The problem seems to me that either
the .ppt file isn't written to the cache, or it's deleted right after it is written to the cache.

It also seems to be a problem specific to .ppt files 'cause with .doc files, there are no problems.

Regards, goaganesha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back