Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Mount After Error in Offline Defrag 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shineon93

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2003
CA
Using Exchange Server 2000

I was running out of space on my c drive, thats where my mdbdata folder resides. So i did an offline defrag, the defrag ended in error and now exchange server is unavailable. I am unable to mount the information store. I did a consistency check on both priv1.edb and pub1.ebd and they show as consistant. Using eseutil with the /g switch it says error the priv1.edb and priv1.stm are not the same jetdatabase error. I also was succesful in mounting a empty database. I renamed the MDBDATA folder created a new one and it mounted. Want to know if this can be repaired with another offline defrag althought the last one ended in error...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad
MCSE 2000

Hey Brad what was the exact error you saw from the offline defrag, this will have been a JET ERROR prob -700 - 1600 range.

Also what build of E2k are you running?

Mark

Did you defrag on the c drive or to a network store? You must have at least the size of your db plus 10% on the drive where you store the temp DB created during defrag.

Scenario A.

If you have the disk space requirements, to run an offline defragmentation, go to a command prompt and change to your Exchsrvr\bin folder. The syntax would be

Eseutil /d <database path>

Eseutil /d “c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb”

Repeat the steps for the public database (pub1.edb file)

*****Note the priv1.stm and pub1.stm files do NOT need to be defragmented******

*Database path needs to be in quotes if located in “program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata” if path is exchsrvr\mdbdata the path does not need quotes.

Scenario B.

If because of disk space, you need to redirect the temp database to another drive on the same server use the syntax below. In this example, a folder created for the temp database on the F drive is called Defrag the syntax would be

Eseutil /d “c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb” /tF:\defrag\tempdfrg.edb

Or

Scenario C.

To redirect the temp database to a mapped network drive the following syntax would be used

For example we mapped a drive Z to a folder called Defrag on a network share

Eseutil /d <path> /tz:\tempdfrg.edb

Eseutil /d c:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb /tz:\tempdfrg.edb

***when redirecting the temp database to a network drive the defrag will take significantly longer*****

I merely cut and pasted from another thread in this forum.
Hope it helps

Thanks for the advice,

I am running exchange 2000 service pack 3. I did run the eseutil correctly but I think there was a power spike or surge during the operation. I am going to try the power tools and see if they can help the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back