Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Migrate Mailboxes 5.5 to 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

alweb99

Programmer
Sep 9, 2002
GB
Am in the process of Installing Exchange 2003 in a Single Server 5.5 environment, 1 Domain, no other exchange servers. I want to eventually decommission the 5.5 server so want to Move all mailboxes to the new server.

Have got all the way through the Installation process as per MS Deployment Guide, All OK, ADC has been run OK, Exchange Installed OK, Running Diagnostic tools (ConfigDSInteg) gives a result of

object-class = top$exchangeadminservice
The system attendant contains no proxy addresses (proxyAddresses)
The system attendant contains no primary SMTP address (mail)
The system attendant contains no primary X400 address (textEncodedOrAddress)

object-class = top$msexchmdb$msexchpublicmdb
The public mdb contains no proxy addresses (proxyAddresses)
The public mdb contains no primary SMTP address (mail)
The public mdb contains no primary X400 address (textEncodedOrAddress)

The srs contains no proxy addresses (proxyAddresses)
The srs contains no primary SMTP address (mail)
The srs contains no primary X400 address (textEncodedOrAddress)

I am then unable to Move any mailboxes, the reported error at the end of the move process is

The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed. The MAPI provider failed. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no: 8004011d-0512-00000000

I suspect this logon issue is the problem, but can't identify where to change it, the ADC created connections all pass tests OK.

What am I doing wrong?

Any advice appreciated

Al

Did you run the pretests before you tried to move the mailboxex (forestprep, domainprep) There is a checklist to follow before you actually install exchange 2003 on the server. They check to make sure everything is communicating corerctly w/ AD. They also extende the schema so the attributes get added to the objects.

object-class = top$exchangeadminservice
The system attendant contains no proxy addresses (proxyAddresses)
The system attendant contains no primary SMTP address (mail)
The system attendant contains no primary X400 address (textEncodedOrAddress)

object-class = top$msexchmdb$msexchpublicmdb
The public mdb contains no proxy addresses (proxyAddresses)
The public mdb contains no primary SMTP address (mail)
The public mdb contains no primary X400 address (textEncodedOrAddress)

The srs contains no proxy addresses (proxyAddresses)
The srs contains no primary SMTP address (mail)
The srs contains no primary X400 address (textEncodedOrAddress)"

It's the RUS' job to stamp these things, clearly it isn't working.

Hi gerbieIT, As I said in the OP, have run the installation as per MS deployment guide, so yes, Forest Prep, Domain prep, have ticked all the boxes in the installation guide pages!!!

Hi xmsre - What should I look for to cure RUS not working then?

On the properties of both the enterprise and domain RUS, check the endpoints on the properties page. Ensure these are valid servers. You can also turn up daignostic logging for the RUS and check your application log. A common problem is a 3rd party address generation dll that isn't installed on the exchange server. Another problem is overlapping replication or migconfigured recipient polices that can cause duplicate proxy addresses.

Once all is well try rebuilding the RUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back