Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Merge 1 tape from multiple tape backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

C5vette01

Technical User
Jan 1, 2003
CA
Here's my current problem I hope someone can help me with.

I've have backups which are on 1 tape. When I try and do a merge, it sometimes asks for sequence #2, but there is no sequence #2. Once I cancel a merge, the contents of the tape don't get merged into the database.

How can I get my data off that tape?

Thanks.

Try just merging a certain session and see if that works for you...it may be a pain if you have a lot of sessions, but we do this once in awhile to save time...

Maybe now would be a good time to mention that I'm using Arcserve 2000 Adv w/SP4. I checked your suggestion Cyklops, but the Tasks registry does not exist in mine.

Stacy12, how do I merge just the session?

Thanks.

Can someone please help. I need to retrieve the data off this one tape.

It's one session and it's only supposed to be one tape but it keeps asking for tape 2 when I try and do a merge. When I cancel, nothing gets put into the database. There has to be a way to recover the data that is on the tape.

Thanks.

I met the same question. That time my ARCserve database is bad. So i cannot find the correct files to restore.
So I had to restore it's database from last month's tape.
and it is OK. but i have lost a whole month's session.
You can merge by a special media. and confirm if the restored files on this tape.

best regards and good luck.
Peter

Assuming your database is OK. Try the following link:

The important bit is:

Q: How do I do a merge without using cat files?

A: This requires making a change to your NT/2000 registry. This procedure, and the subsequent merging of database records without using your cat files should ONLY be performed if you are unable to run a normal merge job.

On your ARCserve server, run the appropriate registry editor:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SOFTWARE - ComputerAssociates - ARCserveIT - BASE - Task

When you have located the Task key (which you must have as part of the ARCserve install) perform the following procedure:

- ADD KEY with the name merge
- ADD VALUE with Value Name DonotUseCatalogmerge
- Choose REG_DWORD as the Data Type
- In the DWORD Editor enter 1 and select Binary as the Radix

This works a treat for me using win2k , as2k SP4. What it does is force ARCserve to read in file by file what's backed up on tape and instantly add to the database, during a merge. The problem you have sounds like an unclean end of session, where the job was stopped/cancelled when a second tape was requested. The software had no space to write its end of session information and save the cat file to tape. Therefore during the merge, ARCserve skips to the end of the tape, but the last bit of info it gets is a request for second media, which it then asks for.

Hope that explains it a bit,

Cheers, Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back