Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to logon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2002
SG
hi,
does anyone enounter a problem whereby the login screen freezes but the server services are still running ?

Yes, actually, I have seen this in one case where we had to shut off the server.

Frequently though, it's a waiting game, then a restart. How long have you waited? Assuming it's not cabling / NIC, Kerberos authentication errors can pause your login for 20 minutes, especially if UDP is blocked (in this case you force Kerberos to use TCP). Cabling problems are similar, as the system looks for something to log in to; NIC drivers, faulty NIC, you name it - if it can't find the DC, you're going to wait.

If the server services are running, as you say, try looking at the event log from a remote machine - this may give you some clues.

First, make sure remote registry / management is enabled
(otherwise you will get "The format of the specified computer name is invalid", after a long delay)

Do this from another workstation.
Admin Tools | Computer management
Right click on "Computer Management (local)"
Choose "Connect to another computer"
Browse, or type server name, then [Ok]
Expand "Services and Applications"
(There will be a pause)
Select "Services"
If not started, START:
"Remote Registry Service" (for Win2K/NT4)

Now view the server's event log
Expand Computer Management | System Tools | Event Viewer
and browse the logs

When done, remember to STOP the Remote Registry Service, if you started it!

Good luck

fyrewyr, whats the caused of your problem when it occurs?

Almost missed your question, it was so short. I should have asked this right off -- what OS?

One of the most obvious manifestations of this problem was with a VPN tunnel for Win2KPro -> Win2KServer involving three (four, if you want to be picky) firewalls. Upon starting the computer on the far end of the tunnel, there would be a LONG pause while the computer "applied" settings before the GINA appeared. Once the login prompt appeared, and you submitted your password, there would be an insanely long pause and some event log messages that weren't immediately helpful.

The irony was, the problem was the first thing I considered, and the very, very last thing I remembered. It was Kerberos failures; i.e., blocked UDP packets at the first firewall. It took a packet trace on the tunnel to prove this. Once the change is made, the resolution was instant:

How to Force Kerberos to use TCP instead of UDP

The thing is, I don't know what you mean by the login screen when you say services still running. Are you talking about unlocking the machine later, or the initial login? I'd have to go do some research for the former.

So, assuming you have 2000, is this helpful (the advice is to apply SP3)? Do you have any event log messages?

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 304570
Winlogon Stops Responding with a Custom GINA

If a Graphical Identification and Authentication (GINA) dynamic-link library or a pass-through...Winlogon enters a "race" condition and stops responding (hangs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back