Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Logoff Current User

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch12

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
US
I am unable to log off the current user on my Windows 2000 machine, as well as Shutdown. I am, however, able to restart the PC. Can someone point me in the right direction, I am pretty sure I need to change a setting in the Registry Editor, I just don't know where. Thanks for any help.

Go to control pannel -> Users and Passwords -> check Users must enter a user and password to use this computer
Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

I think you're gonna REALLY thank me for this one. (Just like I REALLY thanked the guy who pointed me in the right direction. Hopefully, at least, this will solve the problem for you and a lot of other folks.) Judging by the timing of your post, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that prior to 'upgrading' at the MS Update site, your system was running great. Nice quick bootups, and 5 second or less shutdowns. NOW, AFTER that 'update', you're lucky if you can shutdown in under a minute or two, IF AT ALL. Right? Sound sickeningly familiar? Well, if this fits your situation, know that help is just around the next ADD/REMOVE. The updates that freakin hosed your system, and a sh*tload of other MS victims' systems, are the following: Q328310 and Q329170! 810030 might also be related, but I think that's one that can't be uninstalled. But the other two can. Be aware that I and some other folks got some VERY ODD warning messages when we uninstalled the 'two q's' - a bunch of other programs got presented in a box with a warning: "If you uninstall Qxxxxxxx, all these other programs might not work any more". I was like: "WTF"!! I'll take my chances, and get this piece of crap 'update' off my system. If need be, I'll reinstall the other programs later. But I figured I'd either be old, or dead, or both if I had to sit through any more of those endless time warp 'NOT shutdowns'. And while somebody said he did eventually have to uninstall/reinstall one of his proggies, I have not had to do so up to this point. I really hope this is the fix for your system. I really do. Happy New Year!

Balls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back