Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to login to MAS server via RDP after 2-3 weeks of service 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2010
Hi we have a 3 MAS server vmd running 5.2 on windows 2003 sp2 with an exchange 2007 back end and we have this weird thing that causes each mas server's ability to login to windows to stop working after 2-3 weeks of service.

After a few days of the MAS service continuing to operate the server completely dies and we need to do a hard reboot to get it back up.

the current way of dealing with this is to shut down ports on the server that is about to go and then reboot it and then bring it back into service just before its windows login capability stops working.

We know it is about to go because when you log into the server and run task manager you are unable to see running processes.

There don't seem to be any error messages in event viewer.

Has anyone run into anything like this?

thanks
Goz

I have never heard of it but it sounds like something is using all of the resources. Is this a Avaya server or CPE?

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

We have 2 boxes we built and one box the telecom company built for us.

On our boxes we installed windows and the telecom company configured everything else the box provided by the the telecom company was configured entirely by them.

We initially only had boxes provided by us but they kept having this issue so we asked for an avaya provided server but it seems to be suffering from the same issue.

Thanks
Goz

Did you by chance add these to your existing domain? Are there any permission (AD) issues that might be locking you out. We run ours in its' own domain.

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.”

- Epicurus

Check other software that may be running on those servers. Also check the virus scanning software and make sure it is configured properly.

I would also check any GPOs that are assigned to those servers.

found out that the issue was caused by the vserver.exe was somehow not updated to 5.2 when an update was installed on each of the servers...

We are now having the MAS VMD rebuilt and will migrate all users to this new vmd.

Another question...
Is there a tool that will batch edit users from AD and switch them from one VMD to another?

The vendor is recommending we individually change each user account and we have nearly 2000 subscribers so it is kind of tedious.

Thanks
Goz

He mentioned the Avaya tool had caused issues in the past and would seize up after an unknown amount of users.

Has anyone had any issues with this tool?

That may have been the case about 10 years ago, but not really since then. I do usually break the scripting up into ~500 or so users at a time, not because of an issue with it, but so I can track down the accounts that it says it had an issue with before moving on to the next batch(command window will only keep so much history).

Since working on Octel/Lucent UM 1.0 around the 1999/2000 years (Avaya renamed to MM when it released the next version after Avaya UM 5.0), I know a bit of history around the product.

Hmm that sounds promising perhaps i will try and persuade our vendor to attempt to use it.
Should save us considerable downtime.

yes the VM enable tool is the way to go.

I still can't understand why you are trying to add a server in to the VMD if the BP did the upgrade / add then it should already be in the VMD.

Ken Means

He has rebuilt a server and added another VMD and this rebuilt server is located in the new VMD.

So in VMSC you can see the old vmd with the old servers and then another vmd with the new server.

the plan is to move everything to the new vmd so that hopefully it will resolve the issues we are experiencing.

Well we successfully migrated users using vmenable to the new vmd and new server but continue to have the issue where the Processes tab stops working and then the server eventually starts to become non-responsive.

This is very frustrating in our old vmd we had 2 MAS servers we could fall back on in the new VMD we currently only have 1 server that is operational so we can't really restart the server during operational hours.

Gozer

Is this an Avaya provided server or customer provided? Since this should be a newly rebuilt server it should not be acting this way. If it is an Avaya provided I would contact your BP or Avaya to work that out. If it is a customer provided I would work with the manufacturer to find out what the cause might be.

Before you contact Avaya you should be at the latest SP/patch level for your 5.2 - which today is SP12.

I have another question I noticed that the version of exchange installed on the mas server is not the same version we have in production.

on the mas server the rtm release is installed and we are running sp1 rollup 10 on the exchange server.

I hope you mean the version of exchange tools and not exchange itself. Are you using exchange 2003 with SP 1 ? Or something else ?

Ken Means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back