Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to log onto a windows 2000 pro workstation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekquest

Vendor
Feb 1, 2003
AU
all,

when i try to log onto my windows 2000 pro system, i get the following error message:

"unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on this machine"

Does any one have any idea on how to start this service so i can log back on?

I do not know how this has happened!!!

Luke

Have you tried the last known good configuration or safe mode?
Failing that, go into the recovery console (if not installed, boot from the Win2K CD-ROM and install it, then start the service from there).

John

Hi JR,

I just did the "use last known good configuration" and it got me to the login prompt, the disk was going full use, then it stopped.

Rebooted, then I get a blue screen, Inaccessable_Boot_Device.

I have tried to do a repair of the cdrom, but it seems that I cannot do any more with it, cause it can't find the boot partition to repair!

Should I just format and re-install?

Thanks for your help,

Luke.

P.S. How would I start the service from the console?

- for recovery console. Try running chkdsk once there.

You could also try a repair reinstall if that doesn't work (boot from 2k install CD - choose new install, not repair. Install should then find existing & offer to repair it. Accept this option - then does very similar to normal install - but leaves data, settings apps intacts - loses windows updates).

A bit of history on how the problem arose would also help (eg, hardware/software changes, major crash, virus etc before problem started).

Logon as a local user and use Start > run > services.msc
set the netlogon service to start up when the computer starts.

PS. is the network cable plugged in?

Guys,

Ok, I have re-installed the machine, formatted and fresh.

Let me give some background anyway >

* The machine was powered up one morning after a previous day of no problems what so ever, it bluescreened and was turned off, then powered back on, it got to the windows logon prompt and when I keyed in my user details it said "Unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on this machine" and that was it!

So I restarted again, pressed F8 and used "Use last known good configuration", it booted up once more, the disk was being used 100% for around 15 mins, I then tried to log in, keyed my user name / password and it say in the logon prompt for about 35 mins, so I shut it down.

I booted it back up and I was faced with a new problem, bluescreen with "Inaccessable_Boot_Device", so I turned the pc off once more.

Stuck the Win2k pro cd in the drive, attempted to do a fast repair with all options, and I couldn't find the Windows installation, the recovery console worked, but I did not continue with this for lack of knowledge.

Anyway, the machine has been re-installed and is working healthy again! but I have taken a ghost image just in case!

----

Wulluf - I should have tried that instead of dumping the whole thing, I never knew the Win2k installs could do that! but you learn something every day! :)

No software or hardware was changed, but the bluescreen above did occur.

----
Swimpy - I could not log in whatsoever.

Yes, the cable is plugged in and a light is on the hub, it was not logging onto a domain of any kind so their shouldn't have been a problem here.

Thanks for all your help Gentlemen, I appreciate your time and consideration in helping me here, it got me much further than I was. Have some free stars to keep! :) ;-)

Kind Regards,

Luke

It sounds as if You were infected with some type of virus that infected and altered some device drivers or exe files. You may of needed to use a virus scanning tool for DOS.

The suspicion is due to the fact that your logon problem occurred randomnly, then yoour last known good config could not boot up(which it should if there was no login after the problem started) and the fact that your device drivers became screwed up, after some reboots. Some viruses deploy more infection once it causes you to reboot. The best possible thing would be to reformat like you did. Making sure there is nothing hidden in the MBR or anywhere else on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back