Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to log on because the Domain "computername" is not available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaddyT

Technical User
Dec 12, 2000
GB
Have recently changed from static Ip to DHCP addressing. All seemed ok. Current setup is as follows:
2 domains
WIN95 client machines can log onto either domain ok, as long as user has appropriate permisssions.
WINNT Workstations can only access local domain. Trusts are set up accordingly.

Have been into regedit, and cleared cache in WINLOGIN, but this has not helped.

Any sugestions very welcome!

Make sure you can ping a domain controller for the domain you want to log onto after you have been assigned an IP address. I wouldnt advise using DHCP for the domain controllers - keep them static.

WINS has been installed, and we used static IP addresses on all servers and printers. Also, I am able to log on to the domain using a Laptop running 2000 professional. The problem appears to be 2 NT 4 workstations.

If the NT 4 machines can ping the PDC try removing them and re-adding them to the domain.

If removing and adding them in the domain doesnt work, and they can ping the servers! And there is a proper WINS///

I could ask... Are the domains by any chance on Win2000 Native Mode? Or are they stil Nt 4.0?

Regards L8ter!

I'm with Cichlid...sounds like your NT machine's just need to be removed from the domain, and then re-added.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back