Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to log new users into workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkiehner

Programmer
Aug 16, 2001
US
HI all.
I have configured the computer at our fire co. to use W2K. I have 10 user accounts that show up when I do a right click on the Start button and Explore all users.
I have added a new user and when he tries to log on, he gets a message that says: "Cannot copy the C:\Document and Settings\default\Application data to C:\Document and settings\joshk\application data. Contact system administrator." Also gets another one that says: "Windows cannot log on because profile cannot be loaded."
Anyone have any ideas? Tried manually copying the default folder and renameing the copy to joshk, that didnt work.
Also have printer problems with the users that access the machine, but that is for later.
(Getting ready to install XP instead!!)
Thanks, Frank Kiehner
fkiehner@solution4u.com

I have never seen this problem before myself, byt maybe this could help you !!

Verify what rights do this member have .. either group policy or user policy .. make sure he has the rights on the concerned folders !!

If this does not work let me know.

Dhalsims

Just to add up to Dhalsims:
1. If the "Documents and Settings" folder in the root are having the default permissions this should not occur. i.e.,
a. Administrator - full control, modify, read & execute, list folder contents, read, write.
b. Everyone - read & execute, list folder contents, read.
c. Power users - read & execute, list folder contents, read.
d. System - full control, modify, read & execute, list folder & Contents, read, write.
e. Users - read & execute, list folder contents, read.
2. If this is a W2k Server system you may want to put the users to the "logon to local system".

let me know.

prasanna

Got it fixed!! Thanks for your assistance. Seems that I inadvertantly deleted the 'everyone' group and that was the cause of my problems. I tried to recreated that group and was told it already existed but I couldn't find it. So I just added everyone to either the user or power user group and made sure that they were given to the docs and settings group and all is fine. Also did the same thing to the printer and that now seems to work. Moral of story, don't delete "everyone".
Frank Kiehner
fkiehner@solution4u.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back