Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to log into Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkullot

MIS
Aug 22, 2006
US
I am unable to log into the domain because i get a logon error message saying "Unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on this machine".
I can log on locally to the machine. When I look in device manager the NIC has a yellow exclamation point next to it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the card.(used updated drivers as well) Nothing. I have tried moving the hard drive to second pc to see if it is the NIC, but it isn't as it happens to the second pc as well.
Has anyone ever had this problem before?
I am not sure what i need to do....please help me out on this....

Are you able to get into the machine with Safe Mode?

If so tyy this.

Start Registry Editor
Locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Netlogon/

In the right pane, double-click the DependOnService value .
In the Multi-String Editor dialog box, type the following strings on separate lines, and then click OK:
LanmanServer
LanmanWorkstation

Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

The Net Logon service is set to run Automatically, I assume. It's just not able to start? Is that correct? Is there anything in Event Viewer that tells you anything significant as to why the service wouldn't start?

Are there any other clues in the Event Viewer?

Have you tried a System Restore point from before this trouble?

Can you connect from Safe Mode with Networking?

It is set to run automatically and when I try to start it is says that a dependacy needs to be started for the netlogon to work. The event viewer didn't give me much to go on.
I am doing a restore and seeing if that resolves the problem. I never tried a registry scan. I know that something software related is causing this problem, but am running out of time. I need a fast fix. I will let you know if the restore fixes the problem.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Netlogon/DependOnService, what do you have listed in there?

Do you have the file netlogon.dll in the System32 folder and are the permissions OK?

Have you tried Regsvr32 netlogon.dll?

In the dependonservice there is LanmanServer and LanmanWorkstation.

I didn't check to see if the netlogon.dll file was listed.
I have already done a restore. If the problem ever comes up again I will check there.

What is Regsvr21 netlogon.dll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back