Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to log in to Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreedySnake

Technical User
Jun 13, 2003
CA
I have a Windows 98 computer running Outlook 2K trying to get in to a users mailbox which is located on the exchange server. The Outlook 2K client is running the Exchange service and all the settings are correct, but when Outlook is launched a LogIn box pops up and typing in the users name, domain and password yields an "unable to connect to server" response. The strange thing is that the same computer will work fine without the LogIn box for some other mailboxes on the same server, and other computers will be able to access that users mailbox. Any ideas as to what may cause this problem?

Are you certain that the users account is not locked out on the domain or that the user Domain ID has not lost permissions to the mailbox?

These are the only two reasons I can think of on why you are getting prompted to supply the logon credentials.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

The users mail box is accesible from another computer so that account is not locked out or disabled. Also, it does not indicate it is disabled in Active Directory Users and Computers. However I was looking in the Mailbox Store on the server and I did find a mailbox from the user who's account was deleted from the Active Directory and who was previously using the same computer. After I did this the message changed when the user with the log in problem tried to log in to the Exchange server. Instead of saying that the log in credentials are incorrect it is saying that the user is unable to connect to the information store. There may have been some linking damage that occured when the new user was set up on the computer and the old one was deleted.

Let me rephrase.
The old user had been deleted from Active Directory, but the mail box remained. I ran clean up agent on the mail box store and then purged the orphaned box. That computer is still unable to connect though, but any other computer I have tested can connect to that users mail box. There must be something particular to that computer.
I have reinstalled the Active Directory client and Outlook 2000 on that computer, but at this point it looks like I might have to format C: and rebuild from scratch unless anyone has a better solution.

Maybe better off reformatting. I was thinking that perhaps the old users profile is still on the machine and it is using incorrect paramters when looking for the mailbox. Perhaps deleting the old users windows profile it if hasn't already been deleted.

Not a guarantee but a systematic guess.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Have you tried looking in the registry for the old users profile? That maybe the problem.

paveway [machinegun]

Looking for help check the FAQ's first then do a search then ask. Worked for me.

There are no Windows user profiles on that system. It was set up to disable profiles originally. The only profile that was set up is the outlook profile, and that was deleted and recreated. The only thing there might be is some sort of profile information with regard to outlook stuck in the registry.

I had the same issue here. Make sure that you have TCP/IP connectivity between that computer and the Exchange Server. We added a new server here and certain computers were not accessing the DNS server properly so I had to enter a statement in the LMHOSTS and HOSTS tables to restore connectivity. Then they were able to connect to the mailboxes without incident. Hope this saves you from reformatting!!

Lea

Thanks for all your help. With regards to the last suggestion regarding TCP/IP connectivity, I don't think that is the problem, because the domain server and Exchange server are one and the same.
The question is moot now because I have already begun the process of reinstalling the OS. The drive has been formatted and Windows 98 is loading. I would be really surprised if that doesn't fix everything.
Thanks again.

Don't reinstall the OS, thats a waste of time....

I've had this issue before and I'm actually going through it right now.

Stop all exchange services and start them back up... if that doesn't work, restart the server. I have no idea why this is the case but it works. 98 just plain sucks!

Charles

Thanks for the info Camy, but I already re-installed Windows 98 and that worked fine too. It didn't occur to me to reboot the exchange server.

It worked, good! I'm in the process of taking these 98s to 2000.... a much needed upgrade.

Right now I have 3 users (98) who can't get to exchange... go figure. I guess I'll reboot.

Charles

The biggest problem with Win98 and Exchange is not DNS but WINS as Win9x uses NETBIOS resolution.

You'll probably find that the same machines cannot browse the network either

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

I have a similar problem. Here's my situation.
Logging in using account xyz (not a domain account)through vpn - works fine.
Try to get into outlook using acct abc (domain acct) - does not work. - error message 'your logon information was incorrect"
I have Outlook setup for "none" on authentication and to prompt for the profile. I'm running Outlook 2002 & exchange 5.5. NT4.0 domain.
I have tried logging in through the vpn using acct abc and then try to get into outlook using acct abc and it works fine.
I do the same thing on other machines (vpn as non domain account then get into outlook as a domain acct)and it works ok.
I've tried everything as far as the RPC entries go (previous posts). Only thing that I think I haven't done is to reinstall TCP/IP. I don't think I need to do this, however, because it works when I logon to the VPN using acct abc and then get into outlook using abc as well.
I have removed and re-added the profile as well as different ones. They all give the same error message unless I am VPN'd in as the same user that I long onto outlook as. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back