Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to log in to DC 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmXmm

MIS
Jan 12, 2007
US
Hello,

At my workplace we have 3 domain controllers, all Windows 2003 SP1. Over the past couple days one of them had become unresponsive to remote desktop logins. The "incorrect password" message would appear when attempting to log in remotely. Trying different accounts did not seem to help the login problem. Furthermore, an event would appear in the event viewer with an ID of 529 (DESCRIPTION, Logon Failure: Reason Unknown user name or bad password).

I thought it may have been a network problem. So, I set up a different NIC with the desired static IP, etc. Then, rebooted. Since the reboot we have not been able to even logon locally (which we could before). The computer gets to the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen and freezes. The server responds to remote desktop requests, but yields the same "bad password" response.

Any ideas or comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Also, try RPC calls - e.g. remote MMC consoles such as Services.msc or the event viewer.

In particular telnet is often a saviour in these moments.

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

It sounds like the KDC service or process may nto be workign properly. Check the time on your client and on the server to look for differences. Often, if time is out of synch for more than 5 minutes, the kerberos auth token will expire and authentication will not work. Also check the time on the DC in comparison to the other DC's.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses.

I can get in with RPC calls, as Steve suggested. And, looking at the Security log in the Event Viewer the time appears to be dead on. The exact same time as the rest of the computers in the domain. In fact, everything appears to be running properly.

The DC has entered sleep mode, and the mouse and keyboard are completely unresponsive... sort of. The mouse is lit up, and the Num Lock light turns on, but not off (Caps & Scroll do nothing).

This is so very odd. Leads me to believe I'm mising something simple.

Do you have any weird power profile settings? Hibernation? Sleep mode?

What error are you getting in the event viewer when you get the bad password error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back