Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to join domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

un42nateu

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2002
ZA
I'm joining a Windows 2000 Professional machine to a NT4 domain. Previosly I had no problems. I can ping all computers in the domain(including the PDC). The PC even sees the domain in network neighbourhood. I get the error "the domain does not exist or could not be contacted" when i try to create the COMPUTER account for the computer. I've had this problem before, but the solution was inconsistant. I eventually got it right before just by leaving the systems overnight and the next day it was fine. What can I do to join the W2K Professional machine to the NT4 domain without any hassles?

Is this just one machine thats having a problem? or is it all 2k machines you're trying to put on the network? If its just one mahine, then it almost sounds like a network connection problem. I'd start swapping out cables and ports on the hub.

Are you giving this machine a static IP or assigning via DHCP? If DHCP, do a coupole release/renews, and make sure the client is getting an IP every time. If its not, then its most likely hardware.

Also what services do you have running on the server?

The domain that you see in network neighborhood is not realy a domain, it is a peice of a browse structure. The browse structure is some what independant of the domain. The key to finding the domain with your box is either WINS or LMHOSTS. Your box needs to find the NetBios registration for a Domain Controller registered with the domain name.

I wrote an detailed description to woking with the Domain related NetBIOS stuff either today or last night, but I forget what the issue was. It is either in Windows 2000 or NT 4.0 Server.

Good luck

Jay Mosser
jaym@optymgroup.com

If you are going to use the hosts file, you will have to work out the details of using srv records in hosts files, because you must be able to identify some AD functions through their srv records. Example:

when doing a nslookup querry for a domain controller or the domain of domain_name.com you would recieve the follow (done with nslookup):

set type=srv
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domain_name.com

this would return would return:

Server: dc02.domain_name.com
Address: 10.3.111.247

_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domain_name.com SRV service location:
priority = 0
weight = 100
port = 389
svr hostname = dc01.domain_name
priority = 0
weight = 100
port = 389
svr hostname = dc03.domain_name.com
priority = 0
weight = 100
port = 389
svr hostname = dc02.domain_name.com
dc03.domain_name.com internet address = 10.169.169.1
dc02.domain_name.com internet address = 10.3.111.247

that is just one record. There is a complex structure built in DNS to support MS Active Directory. I have never tried to replicate it with a hosts file, but it may be possible. The blurb in the sample hosts file doesn't talk about creating srv records, but. . . .

I had this very sort of problem last week in Germany, drove me insane for a day. Turned out that the IP address range that had been selected for use had not been set in the routing table, so although you could ping everywhere, that was not much use other than to say that the connectivity/NIC was working ok.

Found this out by trying a DHCP range as the act of a desperate man and connected fine.

This was connecting to a PDC in the UK through a cloud and via three routers.

Words were said when I got back to the UK

There are also issues with NT Authority... I seem to remember needing to be logged in as local administrator and having another account authorized to add computers (i.e., domain admin)...

Of course it might have been the other admins having a go with me... ;-) JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back