Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to install SMS clients using Client Installation Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoid

MIS
Dec 11, 2001
CA
Hello All,

Network and heartbeat discovery methods are enabled. NT Remote Client installation is also enabled. The subnets have been specified. However, the clients will not install.

When the logon discovery method is configured clients are able to be installed.

I have found a warning under the SMS_NETWORK_DISCOVERY component under site component status. The error message reads that there is a problem with the netdisc.dll file. I have tried copying over the existing file in case it may be corrupted, but to no avail. I am wondering if it could a problem with other .dll files that the netdisc.dll may be dependent upon.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Could someone confirm this error as being the reason that the clients are not being installed? If so, how can I fix this problem?

Also, is there any benefits of using one type of installation over another, in terms of the load on the server? (~600 client machines on one domain)

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Paranoid

I'm not sure if you have a corrupt file of not. I don't know much about that error.

Are all of your clients DISCOVERED? In other words, when you look at the ALL SYSTEMS collection, you should see all of your DISCOVERED clients. They should be shown as discovered an as part of your site, but not installed as CLIENTs.

IF they are not, the automatic NT installation will not happen. They need to be discovered first. Maybe, the logon method worked because it forces the client to show itself (for a lack of better terms) to the SMS site server. The client realizes that it belongs to the site and then installs.

Maybe you have a discovery problem?

Anyway, jsut my thoughts.

I like to use logon scripts to install the client because you have more control. I can select my roll out based on client machines or logon scripts. To roll the client out in a controlled manner, I used Kixtart logon scripts. In the script, I was able to say only run SMSLS.bat if the computer belonged to a certain subnet...then I slowly increased the range of subnets. In this way, I was able to roll out the client in a controlled manner, floor by floor.

I don't like the automatic NT installation because we have consultants that might want to join the domain temp. Also, when I'm building a new server, maybe I don't want SMS client installed in the beginning. So logon method is better for me.

-hope this helps..

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Did you encounter any problems while using the manual installation option? I am using a bat file, but for few machines, it didn't showed up in the sms database. I didn't had problems with discovery , however few clients still says client=no after installing the client.

Any idea why?

TUX78,

If you know the client is in a defined SUBNET on the SMS server...and the client still does not install, look at the local client SMS log files. Winnt\System\MS\SMS\LOGS

Also if NT client verify that ADMIN$ is avialable Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Thanks for the quick response Jpoandl & tux78.

Wish I could the same, but I'm swamped with work.

SMS is discovering all clients in specified subnets except in the domain that I want to install the client.

Manually install with SMSMan.exe works.

I'll keep at it and let you if anything comes up.

Thanks again,

Paranoid

Joseph/Anyone, can you post a copy of the logon script text used to rollout SMS client to wins 95 PC only.

Any help appreciated!!
Paul

Paul,

Its a Kixtart script...if you don't use kixtart, the script that I created won't work for you...

There are built in macros in Kixtart. These macros can perform some really cool tasks. For example, I can say if OS = 9x, run the smsls.bat. Or if the client's IP address is in the 10.22.3.0 subnet, run the SMSLS.bat

Stuff like this...I think Kixtart is an awesome logon script language for NT/2K. Check it out..it's free
Hope this helps.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If you are running SMS 2.0 with SP3, check the files in the inbox folder and ensure that the files are the same date and time as the ones on SP3. If they are not...update your files.

One thing that helps me is the AddSys tool, but I would only recommend this for a FEW clients.

You might also want to make sure your boundaries are set up correctly in the properties of your site as well as the discovery methods. I acidentally forgot the site properties once and it can cause early grey hair.

I know this is taboo, but sometimes it does help to call MS for "odd" things. The SMS team, overall, seems to be a very confident group. And they stay with you until it is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back