Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to install RedHat AS-3 on RAID-0 PowerEdge 2850

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulTech

Programmer
May 13, 2005
US
Tried to install Red Hat AS-3 on new PowerEdge 2850 with four 36GB SCSI hard drives, but get message that drivers are missing for the disks. I tried a number of the listed drivers (which appeared to be RAID). But I'm told that the following procedure should have appeared to RH as a single logical SCSI drive.

Here's what I did to get to this point:
On first boot, went to the PERC/CERC BIOS Configuration Utility (^M).
Cleared Configuration, then choose New Configuration.
Selected all four hard drives; set A-00 field to "Span-1"; and changed RAID 5 to RAID 0, and saved config.
Then Initialized the single logical drive. Progress bar went from 0% to 100% in about 5 seconds. F5/F6 indicated that no drives were initialized.
Then rebooted with CD 1 of RedHat AS-3 and it could not access the drives because of the missing driver.

Note: The hard drives are Seagate ST336607LC DS09 SCSI-3.

Note: Raid info: HA-0 PERC 4e/Si Standard FW 5130

Hoo boy - jkupski is correct. Matter of fact, most manufacturers just rebadge LSI's products these days.

What update level are you using for Red Hat AS?

AS 3 Update 4 or 5 should automatically recognize your RAID array...you should not need any extracurricular drivers upon bootup.

Thanks everyone for your help. I tried installing RH AS-4,and the installation went fine. Whether a ported application works that was supposed to run on AS-3 is TBD. If it doesn't, I'll reload AS-3 and apply your advice. Regards,
PaulTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back