Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Install Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUbie

MIS
Apr 23, 2003
US
I have a W2K server that had a U.S. Robotics 56k external modem attached to it and working. Recently, the modem stopped working so I uninstalled it. Now when I try to install it, Windows recognizes the modem, but when you press the Install button it returns the message: "Windows is unable to install the modem." There are not errors in the event viewer. Anyone seen this before?

After you get that error, does it show up in the Device Manager? If so perhaps you can install updated drivers for it through there. Right-click on the modem in the listing and select Properties, then click on the Driver tab. Click on the Update Driver button, then direct it to where it can find the driver. (You'll need to download it first from US Robotics.)

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

You say the modem stopped working. Have you tested it elsewhere? Failing that have you made any changes to ports?

Yes, I have tested the modem. I have also tried other modems. The server sees, it will tell you exactly what it is, but when its time to install the driver, it simply says "unable to install modem." I've noticed there is suddenly a resource conflict with the secondary ide controller but I can't find out from where.

IDE controllers are generally used by hard drives and CD drives. Resource conflicts can easily cause devices to not work. Perhaps sorting out the resource conflict will get the modem in working condition.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back