Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to install any SK on XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jswcpm

Technical User
Dec 31, 2007
US
I was able to install my Sidekick 95 (corel 7) on a machine running XP SP2....I am not able to install Sidekick 95 or anyother version of Sidekick on my other machine running XP SP3..any ideas?...i have uninstalled, reinstalled, removed registry items (using Uniblue Registry 2), etc., etc.
tried 97, 98 or 99 or even my Corel version of 95..
the Sidekick screen does come up, the thermometer goes 4 steps and then freezes..i.e does not go all the way to the left....hellllp....

Dear jswcpm ,

Check out the Faq here:
click on this link: FAQ807-5203

For the failure to load.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Thank you for your e-mail, unfortunately nothing works....i have 95 installed, there is no wmplayer.exe playing in the background or started automatically...

any other ideas?....

much thanks

Dear jswcpm,

Alter the properties in the Shortcut you use to start Sidekick so that it runs in Compatibility mode.
If that fails then try the 3 fingered salute Ctrl+Alt+Delete
Then shut down everything that is not a system process and see if you can get it started. Check too that you installed it as an Administrator.

Let me know how you got on.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

thanks for the suggestions - so far no go....i was able to import my files into Outlook...but i much prefer to have Sidekick back up and running....

at the end, when i close down, there is a warning about the 16 bit processing not working properly...i think there may be a key there since Sidekick is a 16 bit program - yes?....

Dear jswcpm,

When the programs/processes in the Task Manager have been stopped as described in the Faq page I mentioned earlier in this post, you need to make sure no Sidekick processes are working too and ONLY then when the processes have all stopped start Sidekick again.

Please take a screenshot of the processes running and list them here (i.e. run task manager again after the above has been done).

We need as much information as we can get.

Regards
Jim

Dear jswcpm,

Further to the above; it might be an idea to uninstall all the versions of Sidekick and then close down and reboot and then install ONLY Sidekick98.
I feel there is a confusion when we are dealing with so many imponderables!

Jim

Took 4 photos of the processes running..but how do i upload or paste them?...

How do i remove Sidekick 95 - just back up the card files onto another drive and just erase the directory?...it doesn;t show up in add remove programs under control panel...

when i tried to install the later versions of Sidekick, the install programs would not initalize... i installed 95 from my Corel Version 7 disc...

any further thoughts?..it runs fine on my other computer...

perhaps this computer has problems running 16 bit emulations?....

Very Interesting...

i had a flash of inspiration..(i try not to be near a bunch of dry leaves when this happened)...

i booted into safe mode and double clicked on sidekick.exe..

guess what...it worked prefectly...

now, unless i want to operate in safe mode, i still have a problem...

i think this means something important, but i am not sure what...

any ideas?

Dear jswcpm.

It still means that some running process or driver is stopping Sidekick loading and it is a question of identifying the process and examining it to see what function it performs for you and whether you want it stopped and then, disabling it or looking for updates to it that will stop its interference with Sidekick. (and other programs possibly). (try saying that last sentence without breathing)!

Please let us know what happens and the error messages you get when you try to load the other versions of Sidekick.
My Google email is on my website, make sure Sidekick is in the Subject line as it may get trashed as Junk!

Regards Jim

Fair enough...

stupid questions 2 and 3..ok, so they are not stupid..maybe just dumb - i have to keep my sense of humor, here..

How do i remove Sidekick 95 - just back up the card files onto another drive and just erase the Corel directory or just the Sidekick directory?...it doesn;t show up in add remove programs under control panel...

when i tried to install the later versions of Sidekick, the install programs would not initalize... i installed 95 from my Corel Version 7 disc..., the install programs for 99 starts and gets to 99% and stalls, maybe i should try under safe mode?...

oh, and i am the sole user and have administrator priviledges...

obviously 16 bit programs have problems - i also have the last version of lotus and that sometimes has problems too....

Dear Jswcpm,

There are no stupid questions, better to ask any questions.
Have a look in the sidekick program folder for
unwise.exe
or
SFUN.exe

which is the usual name or failing that look on the startmenu in a subfolder of sidekick.

I would not bother to install Sidekick99 as it is nowhere near as good as Sidekick98 + the SK98 patch all of which is a 32 bit program.

Make sure you run the install program as administrator.
Lots of people are running Sidekick98 on XP so it definitely is possible.
Make sure that you do what is described in the faq pages here:
Freezing at Splash/welcome screen + Install Freezes
faq807-5203
also see:

This installation had detected that a previous etc etc faq807-2246
+
What's the best Sidekick version for WinXP faq807-2658

There is some bedtime reading in it anyway ;-)

Regards
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back