Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to install an OS on my new hard drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeej21

Technical User
Jul 7, 2003
US
Please help! Had an old Maxtor HD on my PIII 450mHz system that wouldn't allow me to re-install an OS after I had formatted it... so I bought a new Maxtor hard drive and I am having the SAME issues. I can format the drives, but when it starts to install the .dll files, it says that certain files are unable to be copied properly. I tried a different OS disk (win 2k pro and win XP pro) and neither of them work. In fact I tried using 4 totally different disks borrowed from friends, yet I get the same issue always. So I am tempted to think that the issue is something other than my copy of 2k pro or XP pro. Any suggestions?

Memory is a good starting point.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks Ed for the quick reply! The thing is I have at least 256MB of RAM on my system,... AND strange as it is, I already HAD Win2K on my old drive and things seemed fine then. I needed to format my hd because I was just plain running out of space, so I copied all the files I needed and formatted. Could that still be a memory issue?

When you start getting wierd stuff like this you need to suspect memory. You are running under DOS for the copies and it is a matter of read and store then write. If you have 2 sticks , you might swap them, or try one only with whatever will load with half.
There are other problems that will cause it , just first elimination needs to be memory.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks Ed again for the info... I will try swapping the memory sticks, or try using just one, etc. tonight, and hopefully that will work. I'll post the results asap.

I agree with Edfair, it sounds like a IO problem. Have you jumped you CMOS and reset your BIOS? I have had similar problems solved by doing this. I too ask for feedback
Good luck
Dwight

Dwight, thanks for the post.. um.. stupid question...How do I "jump my CMOS"... and by resetting my BIOS do you mean just taking out the motherboard battery or actually hitting "reset all settings" in my bios directory? Thanks again for your help.

Reset to defaults, then setting specials should do it.
Battery removal will do it also by forcing defaults on powerup with an original date.

Ed Fair

Yes! Edfair, you are the bomb! I took out two RAM sticks and tried it that way, and sure enough, I was able to install everything just fine. As I type, the OS is installing on my new hd. Thanks a million. Now... I hope that after all is set, I will be able to install those sticks back in without any problems. Thanks Dwight for your input as well, fortunately I didn't have to mess with the BIOS, but I will remember that tip for future reference. Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back