Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to go from XP -> w98se 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

roeiboot

Technical User
Feb 10, 2002
US
oi~

i can read/copy files from my w98se pc to the XP but the other way around i get a user-name password window where the user name is "grayed out" and not allowing access no matter what pw is use (or blank for that matter), i am using the same user name on both computers. any one any idea(s) how to fix my "problem" ?

thanks..

Hi, Your error message is that a password is required for IPC$ share?

configure your win98 access control (file and print sharing properties) to user instead of resource and configure a user/password on your shares in order to access from your XP box.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

thanks. i tried your solution but couldn't get it to work. i entered the workgroup name as place for Windows to look for users but that didn't work, also tried entering the computers name but that didn't work either. i can't remember ever doing this in order to go to that w98se pc, before i was able to type a username and password and am trying to figure out why the username is "grayed out".

bcastner; that's not the problem, i can get from the w98se pc to the XP but not vice versa.

To connect to XP set it to use Simple File Sharing."

i'm trying to connect FROM a XP pc to a Windows 98SE pc.

turn OFF siple file sharing on the xp box (assuming it is pro) go to you 98 box ensure file/print sharing is enabled on the 98 box. go to the file you want to share, right click, create new share, give it a name, set the securities (thats funny, secure and 98 together)and then yuou should be able to go back and forth. all you need to do other than that is insure your workgroup is the same on both.

good luck

My apologies.

Have you tried the Windows 98 Network Troubleshooter accessed via the Help Program and the heading "Networking"?

Unshare the folder on Win98, than share it again, full control, make sure access depends on the password is not selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back