Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to get to isp mydomain.com due to ad=mydomain.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterwolf

Technical User
Jun 15, 2003
NL
I installed a new win2k server and followed the instructions to name the AD owndomain.com Now i cant resolve Only recent I found messages on the net not to name your internal domain the same as your external. To late I'm affraid. Al other things are running good.
Is there a way to overcome this and not having to install a new DC again. (and all clients).
I hoped i could fix this in the lookupzone's but was unable to do so.

Thanks,

You can always run dcpromo again and demote youe server, rename it and run dcpromo again to promote it again. Do you still have that link that you mentioned about naming your internal domain the same as an external domain? I would like to read that.

Good Luck

Have you configured your DNS to use forwarders? If so, how come doesn't get resolved correctly? Do you have a local machine with the same name or an A-record in your local DNS with that name (or a canonical name that points to a local system)?

What goes wrong when you try to resolve
Configured correctly, you shouldn't have to worry about renaming your AD domain.

Let me know if I can help.

MM

Martijn Middelplaats
CCDA, CCNA, MCSA, MCSE
martijn at middelplaats dot net

Are you trying to get to a domain on the internet? If so, you will have to remove the root "." folder for your primary DNS server and add a forward to your ISP's DNS server on the net. All users will use your DNS and your DNS will forward out to the internet for internet domains.

If your is for an internal webpage, then create an alias in DNS. The alias will be resolved to the ip address you asign for it. Example, my server is named DC1.DOMAIN.COM but I want my users to type in their browser. I create an alias for point to the DC1's ip address.

If you're trying to resolve from the internet into your company, you will need to put your webserver on a reserved public ip address you lease from your ISP and you will need to regiser your domain on the internet.

If your environment is:

1. Your domain server AD is and
2. your webserver is hosted by ISP in the internet with DNS and
3.the problem is internal user cannot go to your website
What you can do is to add host in your dns host entry to point to IP address of your webpage hosted by ISP. (must have www)

Assumption: you already delete the "." in DNS server and configure DNS to forward to ISP.

Hallo everybody,

The problem is over becaurce in the forward folder of mydomain.com appeared a This came there after a put my ISP dns server as the secondaire dns server on a client and tried to connect to This resolved it and left the my forward zone!!!
Lucky me. Since I'm new to win200 server and AD al your advise was very welcom. I will keep this forum close at hand and trie to help wre possible.

Dick

Every thing works fine now but I don't understand why.
I thought that the second DNS server in a client wil never resolve when the first one is working. Or is it trieing the second also when the first did not do the job??
Or is it trieing both at the same time. ( I don't think so)
Please just let me know for vurther understanding.

Wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back