Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to get pass Windows 2000 Pro screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiztwiz

Technical User
Dec 15, 2002
GB
I was messing about with my Dell Latitude CS laptop that runs on Microsoft Windows 2000, Operating System NT and accidentally chose to install Softex pccard32 software. Now when I switch on my computer, although it boots up okay, it is unable to load Windows 2000 Professional. It trys to load it and then sits at a blue screen. I'm trying to find a solution to removing the Softex installation but I cannot access my computer settings in order to remove this offending file. I think the only solution would be to reinstall Windows. I've tried pressing F8 at start-up where I get directed to a screen which asks me to select the operating system and show me one option [MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL].
When I select WINDOWS 2000 I move onto Safe Mode screen and no matter what option I choose from this screen I always end back at the blue screen. If I press F8 a number of times it takes me to a DOS screen where it runs a list of partitions etc. but doesn't allow me to halt this screen and then it takes me back to the blue screen.

I contacted Softex direct and they advised me to try booting into safe mode and then going to add/remove programs from control panel and remove the program. They say I need to contact Dell Technical Support and ask them how to boot into safe mode on my particular machine but I believe I already know it's F8. Any ideas please?

Did you try the "Last Known Good" option from you F8 options.

David Ball CNE, MCSE

Yes, like I mentioned above I've tried selecting every option from the F8 menu including "Last Known Good Configuration". I just get routed to the blank blue screen.

Unfortunately I am unable to connect to any websites from my faulty laptop as I can't get passed the blue screen. Didn't see any point on downloading these files to my friend's computer as I imagine the files are too big for a floppy disk. However, I did manage to obtain a new copy of Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro and reinstalled it under a newly created directory which allowed me to access my hard disk enabling me to remove Softex offending files from my system and hopefully use my original Microsoft Win 2000 Pro again.

Thanks all for your responses - much appreciated.

[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back